Republicans Say the Darndest Things!

But that was her strongest qualification for the job!

Seems like the best place for this

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/texas-gop-proposes-bill-to-allow-sec-of-state-to-overturn-election-results-in-states-largest-blue-county

1 Like

This one is really great. The lack of self awareness from Republicans is unbelievable. In Florida they are drafting legislation that will allow public figures to more easily sue media outlets for libel and slander. Desantis is behind it of course saying left wing media outlets ought not be allowed to say bad things about Republicans. Who is weighing in against it? The right wing media who has made an industry of telling lies and slandering their opponents :joy:

6 Likes

Go indict yourself

1 Like

He misspelled indicate

3 Likes

Freudian slip:

6 Likes

Fraudian slip?

5 Likes

One of the Stop the Steal organizers that is disappointed the plan for 2024 had a setback

1 Like

Republicans are such classy losers:

Oof, that man has resting Red Flag Face if I ever saw it.

Well all of those things certainly can be true in politics. I can see being bitter about losing a poorly-fought race. I have no idea the truthiness of his charges against his opponent though.

Here’s a NYT article from last week on the Wisconsin Justice race (should be a non-paywalled link):

The article notes that Protasiewicz was far more open about her political views than has been the norm among candidates for judicial positions. I can’t comment about claims of lies, but I think criticism about coming pretty darned close, if not crossing, the line of appropriateness for judicial positions isn’t entirely nuts.

Curious how that compares to Supreme Court nominees stating that Rowe v Wade was settled precedent. At least no one is claiming they revealed how they would vote if that came before the Court.

3 Likes

On her campaign website, Protasiewicz has the following statement in the opening paragraph of her introductory statement:

(For the record, I don’t disagree with that statement.)

It’s one thing for a judge to pledge to abide by stare decisis (although folks making such a pledge really ought to be honest when making it, or at least add some weasel words about what might drive them to deviate from precedent). But to go a step further and pre-indicate a preference for certain issues that might come up during the potential term of service (her website mentions “right to privacy” and apparently her issues with gerrymandering did come up on the campaign trail)… that invites voters to select a justice based on bias, rather than objectivity.

I do NOT like the direction the courts in the US have been taking. But I think there is something to be said for the notion that changes in policy and changes in law should be coming from the legislative and executive branches, and the judicial branch should be left to adjudicate the application of laws, rules, and regulations (including resolving questions of whether such laws/rules/regs conflict with applicable constitutions)…and that citizens are entitled to judicial objectivity in making such decisions.

Did Protasiewicz cross the line? I don’t know; I wasn’t even aware of the race until it popped up in my news feed. But some of what I’ve read has me willing to accept that some of the criticism might have a valid point or two.

I agree with much of what she is reported to have campaigned on…but if a conservative justice had campaigned in an analogous manner as she is reported to have (assuming those reports have some kernel of truth, at least), I’d probably be repeating a comment I made on the AO, mourning the continued loss of what had been our only functioning branch of government.

1 Like

It sounds a lot like the pot calling the kettle black. Kelly is a far right anti-abortionist and a homophobic Judge who opposes Oberkfell.

1 Like

Given political polarization now, it’s not too surprising that a contested election for a state SC position in a purplish state turned more partisan. I imagine we can expect more of this in the future.

2 Likes

You forgot to mention he was endorsed by the NRA. Maybe the NRA just wanted someone who would look at gun rights issues with an open mind.

There was also this:

After Kelly left the court in August 2020, he went on to be paid nearly $120,000 by the Wisconsin Republican Party and the Republican National Committee to work on election issues, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel first reported Feb. 17.

Anyone who doesn’t believe that Kelly would have had a partisan agenda is totally naive.

3 Likes

It would be nice if selection of judges was not based on their beliefs on issues. But if you are going to have judges elected by popular vote (which only 30% of states do for the state supreme court) then it is unrealistic to expect those elections not to become partisan.

2 Likes

I don’t think anyone is remotely suggesting this.