Republicans Say the Darndest Things!

In a Fox News interview with Sean Hannity on Monday, the former talk-show doctor declared: “This is important: We do not have a Republican senator north of North Carolina on the Atlantic coast until you get to Maine, if I don’t hold this seat.”

Screen Shot 2022-11-02 at 12.06.54 AM

Maybe he knew Pitt was in the ACC and presumed all ACC teams were from states on the Atlantic coast.

Perhaps Dr. Oz just sees New Jersey and Pennsylvania as being the same state?

Three (non-consecutive in original) paragraphs from it.

Maybe we need a poll: which is more "darnedest:

1. That democrats will never win another election in the state
  2. That the first statement has nothing to do with election integrity
2 Likes

Nothing costs as much as fentanyl. People give up their life for that.

4 Likes
1 Like

Is it lying if you thought it was true when you said it? I can easily imagine a person being unaware of that Mike Lee quote. Hannity should be more aware than the average person, but even so…

That said, one wonders how much research Hannity did before making that proclamation. Irresponsible reporting, certainly.

It will be interesting to see if the Twitter-verse finds other exceptions.

Yes, but as mentioned in my original source (not in what I posted from it), there are proposals like sunsetting all federal spending legislation after 5 years, limits on the debt ceiling, and moving social security to discretionary spending, all of which are to some extent attempts to attack social security without acknowledging now that social security is the target.

Also mentioned in the original source is proposals to raise the age of full benefits to 70. That to me is much less an attack on social security, and I’ll claim I felt that way even before I was 70. But a claim with respect to social security may not mean much, especially had it come from a Republican instead of me.

1 Like

Costanza: “it’s not a lie if you believe it.”
Wouldn’t have pegged George as a Republican/MAGA-hat, but there you are.

2 Likes

I mean surely all of us have been in the position of saying something that we believed at the time was true only to later learn that it wasn’t.

To me the word “lie” includes intent to deceive.

If I honestly believed that George Washington was elected POTUS in 1776 (as I’m guessing a frighteningly large number of Americans do actually believe) and I say that he was elected in 1776… obviously I’m wrong.

But to me that’s a case of being mistaken, not of lying. :woman_shrugging:

Now if, knowing full well that Washington wasn’t elected until 1789, I go and confidently assert that he was elected in 1776… then I am most certainly lying.

He’s a tv “news” show host, with fact checkers and a responsibility to the public, not a guy at a party with a faulty memory.

5 Likes

Yeah and Hannity has the former a president on speed dial.

Not to mentions I believe he is friends with Rick Scott who not only got rich defrauding Medicare, he recently published a Republican set of goals that included defunding Social Security.

So to say Hannity is just making a mistake because he believed it to be true requires a level of putting your head in the sand that would make an ostrich blush.

3 Likes

If Hannity never noticed Sen. Ron Johnson (R-WI) and Blake Masters (R-AZ) pledging to end SS, the push to make SS discretionary spending so it must be specifically re-approved regularly by politicians like Sen. Rick Scott (R-FL), the lack of Republican support on existing Democrat proposals to bolster SS to not fail, and former President Donald Trump (most recently R) pushing to weaken SS, perhaps he should get out of the news or at least shut up.

Partially beaten to the punch by @YankeeTripper there.

2 Likes

I know you put this in quotes, but just for posterity, Sean Hannity is legally not allowed to be called news.

4 Likes

If I am stating something in conversation I believe to be true, and am wrong, that is not a lie

If I am presenting something to a large audience and fail to do the proper research and also emphatically state something as a fact, then I am either a liar or an incompetent.

I am fine with calling him either

1 Like

Precisely why he’s not allowed to be called news. Fox News has him legally classified as entertainment. Anything he says beyond the pale is something that “no reasonable viewer” would believe. Similar to how Colbert or similar can make ridiculous claims about the former President. It’s a thin veneer of safety and Hannity does a very good job of adding enough “people are saying”, “I’ve heard that”, “I’m just asking the question”, etc.

I now ask the question: Are his viewers reasonable?"
I assert that he knows they are not.

When we lived in Pittsburgh, it was apparent that the residents considered themselves as much East Coast as those in Philadelphia & Newark.

1 Like

Ted Cruz laments trickle down economics.