Republicans Say the Darndest Things!

Surprising, but my impression is that the archives chose the space and certainly the archivists were going through it.

I think quite a few posts in that tangent fit the theme of the thread.

1 Like

Very meta.

1 Like

So… nothing classified. Why I am I not surprised?

That said, Bush is crazy… broccoli is delicious!

1 Like

Yes, and …>

“Uniformed guards patrol the premises.

There are closed-circuit television monitors and sophisticated electronic detectors along walls and doors. Some printed material is classified and will remain so for years; it is open only to those with top-secret clearances.”

The problems, of course, is we can share “facts” like these, but Trump’s followers would not believe them.

2 Likes

It’s Herschel time again:

“And they’ve been saying, ‘Something is better somewhere else.’ And I’m here to tell you it’s not. So, I been telling this little story about this bull out in the field with six cows, and three of them are pregnant. So, you know he got something goin’ on. But all he cared about is keep his nose against the fence, looking at three other cows that didn’t belong to him. Now all he had to do is eat grass. But no, no, no. He thought something was better somewhere else.

So, he decided, ‘I want to get over there.’ So one day, he measured that fence up, and he said, ‘I think I can jump this.’ So that day came where he got back. And as he got back and as he took off runnin’, he dove over that fence, and his belly got cut up under the bottom. But as he made it onto the other side, he shook it off and got so excited about it. And he ran to the top of that hill, but when he got up there, he realized they were bulls too.

So what I’m telling you don’t think something is better somewhere else. This is the greatest country in the world today.”

1 Like

Really makes you think…

1 Like

I did not expect that ending.

2 Likes

The three non-pregnant cows in the first field are probably thinking “Thank god he didn’t make me pregnant, that bull’s a moron”.

bull

Hillary’s a crook, Biden’s senile, and AOC is crazy. If only the GOP would nominate someone who isn’t all 3. :confused:

5 Likes

It’s just a cognitive dissonance coping mechanism. The dissonance caused by supporting people like Trump and Walker even though you have convinced yourself you have values needs to be cleared. These generalities help with that.

New Alberta Premier Danielle Smith is what I would call a “Canadian Republican”. Yesterday, at her first press conference, she suggested that “unvaccinated people were the most discriminated against group she’s ever seen in her lifetime”.

The reaction to her remarks was swift and universally negative: today she “clarified” her comments.

Different here. Condemnation is never universal when a Republican says something ridiculous. There is always some media that will support, re-interpret or ignore stupid comments.

1 Like

At least she didn’t compare the unvaccinated to victims of the Holocaust.

4 Likes

On stage with Walker when he delivered this line were Senators Tom Cotton and Rick Scott.
So any claim that the GOP will do anything to turn their back on Walker after he was exposed as a fraud were complete fantasy.

This was part of an event to show that the GOP still fully supports him

It’s certainly way too late for the party to formally ditch him at this point, particularly given that they have no backbone. How much of the party’s (and supporting PACs’) money is directed his way could be affected though.

And how it affects ordinary voters is a different thing from how it affects Tom Cotton.

had to look this up for myself to see if real. Thought for sure this was some onion level silliness. Or a bit from a 30 rock episode.

did walker really just tell a story… about knocking up 3 cows, ditching them, and then trying to knock up 3 more?

3 Likes

Uh, I think the main character in the story was a bull, not Walker.

And it’s something I’ve heard before… the bull trying to get to the other three cows only to find that they were also bulls. It’s kind of a dumb “the grass isn’t greener on the other side of the fence” story. In fact I think at least once I heard the moral of the story as “if the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence it’s probably due to the bull shit” or something close to that.

But his use of that analogy to describe himself is… bizarre. My read of the analogy was:

Bull = voters
3 cows = Walker
3 bulls originally mistaken for cows = Warnock

Voters can cross the fence to Warnock but they’ll find they were better off with Walker. I think that’s the point he was trying to make.

But yeah, it’s a super weird analogy.

It SHOULD never be too late for either party to show integrity and pull away from a candidate as despicable as Walker.

This isn’t just not ditching him.
This is rolling out some of their most popular Senators in support of Walker. Cotton is viewed as a presidential candidate (once Trump dies).