Republicans Say the Darndest Things!

The individual market before the ACA was shitty. Thanks, Obama.

I don’t know how much to begrudge the FIRE folks, honestly. Many of them work in tech with large salaries and maybe stock options, and wind up paying a lot of FIT and cap gains tax for the ~15 years they work. I know the system is designed to help low-income people and I’m glad it’s there for that, but I don’t get too bent out of shape at a small number of FIRE folks gaming the system.

Some/many teachers are SS exempt, including my wife when she taught at a college in Colorado.

1 Like

It was fine if you were healthy, and Obamacare basically f—-ed those people, which included my Dad & stepmom.

Not just the teachers… the janitors and secretaries and Pilates instructors at the school’s fitness center as well.

1 Like

That appears to be the largest single category. But, even at that “In 2018, one-quarter of state and local government employees—approximately 6.5 million workers—were not covered by Social Security on their current job.”

You had said “hobby jobs”, I imagined wood working (probably because that’s the kind of hobby job I would do).

Also from SS “Federal law allows certain state and local governments to exclude employees from Social Security coverage if those employees are provided with a sufficiently generous pension.”

So if you didn’t need health care the health care market was great!

4 Likes

Who wants to re-litigate Obamacare on a Friday???

2 Likes

Eh, healthy as in “didn’t have AIDS or cancer before you signed up”. Not “never needs to go to the doctor”.

https://twitter.com/reallyamerican1/status/1578384945688576000?s=46&t=5cdkr__-6msfdGFEPMkLDQ

4 Likes

Yeah their hobbies are lifeguarding and public service. Even if their hobbies were something else, I definitely said $24,000 of wages and the rest was retirement distributions.

Hmmm, well I will disclose that in their state virtually all public non-federal jobs are part of PERS and do not pay into Social Security.

I guess they do pay into Medicare, so I was wrong to say no payroll taxes. They must be paying Medicare on everything but the poll-worker income, but that isn’t much.

I have to admit that if I read far enough back I can find it. I kind of got distracted by this stuff with three kids. So the plan was to minimize taxable income with Roth distributions. I saw this

they were shooting for $2.5 million total, all of their own contributions Roth and once …

And wasn’t sure what that meant. I assumed that nobody could put $2.5 million into qualified plans in only 18 years, so they had to have non-qualified money. But, I never asked for an explanation.

1 Like

Probably some is non-qualified. But you still don’t pay FICA tax on non-qualified distributions.

I was trying to say that the stuff they were contributing themselves was Roth to the max that they were able to do so.

So like say he made $200,000 a year. He was putting in the max 401k contribution, 100% Roth. His employer was also kicking money into retirement, which will be taxable as they withdraw it. And they were kicking in the max to his wife’s Roth IRA.

I’m sure they must have been contributing more into Profit Sharing & just general savings / investment accounts. I think they were living off a tiny fraction of his income, especially once the house was paid off.

Could you folks stop fucking talking about this shit??

You’re crowding out the real purpose of this thread.

4 Likes

I feel like we need this thread because one day, 2 years from now Twig is going to vote for DeSantis over Newsom because of the way that Newsom structured his CA EV Policy in an potentially less-than-optimal manner (depending on how things go in 15 years). Also that one time she drove all day long with a Thanksgiving turkey for some people that care neither about thanksgiving or food.

8 Likes

Do you actually think they woild havd been able to get decent insurance in the individual market without Obamacare?

2 Likes

Or the rest of society

Or if your kid was born with cystic fibrosis…

I know there’s hardly any of those. Maybe around the same number of people who need ICE trucks. Interesting which margins people fine with wiping out and which are stringently defended.

This is what I find maddening about those who say both “save the babies” and “f— Obamacare.”

(Back around to Republicans saying the darndest things.)

4 Likes

If seeing a doctor is your goal, then you don’t really need insurance.

What do you think of the group market? My employer insurance rates are quite expensive. I have to pay for my coworkers’ cancers, mental health, diabetes, asthma, chrons disease, high risk pregnancies, various million dollar biologics, and yet here I am, young, male, and fit as a fiddle.

Would you say it’s a failure? Should we charge employees according to their need? Should I have more take home compensation?

1 Like