Republicans Say the Darndest Things!

I ran across random city provided charging station in north Minneapolis residential area the other day.

We have quite a few at parking lots here in Lawrence. There are quite a few Level 2 chargers in rural Kansas. Not DC fast charging, give it a year.

With carrots rather than sticks

Yeah, it was odd. It was just on the side of the street like a regular residential street parking spot.
Not near any businesses or anything.

May take a picture of it this fridat when i am up there picking up tacos.

EV will likely hit critical mass, just as cars hit critical mass to replace horses. But it won’t be in 2035 unless politicians force the issue. There’s too much that needs to happen between now and then.

And gas stations certainly aren’t going to reduce in number between now and then. The number of ICE vehicles on the road in the US is still increasing and predicted to continue to increase.

1 Like

I’ll say that a 20,000 pound trailer of any kind is very heavy. I tried to find some way of estimating the number of vehicles that have a tow rating of 20,000 pounds. There aren’t very many.

Let’s say my estimate is off by 100%. That means 2% of vehicles are used to tow 20,000 pound trailers. That doesn’t look like a big deal to me.

1 Like

Any specifics, or just wishful thinking?

Fair, it’ll take longer than that given the tail of ICE sales will be pretty long nationwide, and then you still have them running around for 20 years after they are sold.

No, I’m not sure it’s not a big deal to YOU. But I bet it’s a big deal to the people who actually need that capability.

A one-size-fits-all approach is not the right answer here. As I read in, shoot I don’t remember where, it’s the EV enthusiast version of “let them eat cake”. Saying that “most people don’t need these capabilities so screw the ones who do” is just… arrogant.

It was a similar story with Obamacare. “Hey we’re going to mandate this expensive program and we’re going to further mandate that most people not only won’t, but in fact won’t be allowed to pay for it. Only a tiny portion of people (the ones getting underwritten individual policies) will be forced to pay for it and F—- them, F—- them hard.”

This capability is not going away, no matter how many times you falsely claim it us.

I mean the tax credits for the purchase of EVs have been criticized as a handout for the rich, and I understand that criticism as well as the desire to incentivize their purchase.

At this point maybe tax credits for manufacturers who make EVs costing less than X, and/or EVs that have a set of capabilities that EVs don’t currently have: full charge in under 10 minutes, capable of towing 15,000 pounds with a 300 mile range, batteries that last 18 years, or contain less rare earth metals… stuff like that.

Incentivize fixing the problems with EVs rather than saying “screw anyone who doesn’t use their vehicle the way I would like them to”.

It is in New York and California.

Eh, not really. With more E-Cars, we are going to need a lot more electricity from the grid (and solar). It’s good that it’s currently (heh) a gradual replacement of the ICE cars, but it’s also slowly-boiling-frog situation on the electricity supply, AND building public charging stations does not appear to be a positive ROI.

I didn’t know that Buttigieg’s “mandate” was doing something different in NY and CA?

Not sure if this has been discussed, but as long as it’s roughly breakeven I don’t think the ROI should matter. Public charging stations (and electricity generation/distribution imo) should not make a big profit.

1 Like

I think the profit part depends. If they are receiving public funding or being given a legal monopoly then I agree. If a company is totally privately funded and the market is competitive they should be able to make as much money as they can.

1 Like

One response:
Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 9.20.17 AM

1 Like

This is so embarrassing for the country. GOP needs to take a cue from professional sports and have a rebuilding year (or three).

2 Likes

Doesn’t the Inflation Reduction Act basically do the first? Tax rebates for EVs, but only if your income is below some threshold ($150k?), and only if the car costs less than $55k (I think)?

I’d generally support these sorts of initiatives. Most new EVs can charge from 10% to 80% in 20-30 minutes, which isn’t 10 minutes but it’s not half bad. And while there are very few people who need to tow 15,000lb, a lot of pollution is generated by heavy-duty trucks (up to and including tractor trailers) so it would make sense to push advancements that get us closer to electrifying that segment.

2 Likes