Reactions to wearing/not wearing masks

I’m a big guy with a beard, I get my masks at DXL (no joke)

Best types of mask per CBC Marketplace:

Inspired by this post, I just wore a mask at the drive-thru window tonight. :+1:

1 Like

Hmmm, I wonder how the 32 degree ones from Costco fare. That’s what we mostly wear these days as the ear pieces are the most comfortable and no one seems to make the kind that fastens behind the head without the vents. I don’t wear my vented masks any more. Even with the vents closed… the vents are so flimsy I don’t trust them to do a good job at this point.

They are 86% polyester and 14% spandex. I wonder if their performance is similar to the neck gaiter. :grimacing:

A single layer of knit fabric seems less than ideal. I think you want 2-3 layers of tightly woven fabric and/or spun fabric.

They make plastic things that go behind your head that you can loop the “ear pieces” over. I’ve always seen a nurse wearing a headband with two large buttons on it that she used to secure her mask, rather than her ears.

You can also cut the ear loops and sew them to some elastic or velcro that goes behind the head.

(I must be the unique person who had never been bothered by elastic behind my ears. The only ones i find uncomfortable are the ones with elastic behind my head – it can get tangled with my hair. But i gather that’s the style you prefer.)

Thanks.

Alas, they don’t seem to have tested my favorite fabric mask, nor anything with exactly the same construction.

It’s 3 layers:

• 3 Layers: Water Resistant, .3 Micron Polypropylene Filter Layer & Moisture Wicking.

The outer layers clearly aren’t cotton, but the inner layer sounds like it might be the same as that 3-layer cotton-with-polypropylene filter thing that tested well. So that’s promising.

1. Yes, one time at the gym while lifting where we’re allowed to take the mask off, but during my 20-second rest in between sets the manager came over and said if you’re not lifting masks are required, all the meanwhile I look around and half the people weren’t wearing masks while not lifting.

2. Yes.

3. No. I’m in mask wearing central.

4. No.

Hmm, well the description on the 32 degree website says:

1. Top Layer: high-density 36 gauge knit construction plus ultra-fine 30 denier yarns create a compact, soft & flexible fabric which is 50% more dense than average knit fabrics

2. Connecting Layer: short 75 denier interconnecting yarns minimizes the space between layers, creating a stronger and more dense fabric

3. Bottom Layer: high-density 36 gauge knit construction plus ultra-fine 30 denier yarns create a compact, soft & flexible fabric which is 50% more dense than average knit fabrics

So that makes it seem like it’s not just a single layer. I wish that info was more readily available, I had to really dig to find it. That’s much more informative than “84% polyester / 16% spandex” that was on the packaging.

My gym requires masks at all times, and will throw you out if you take it off while lifting or cycling or whatever. I’m still afraid to go there. :upside_down_face:

Yeah, I won’t be going back to the gym until after a vaccine is widely distributed and I have some exercises I want to do but don’t have equipment at home. Wondering even what that might be. Maybe assisted pullups, assisted dips, calf raises, preacher curls.

I’ve invested in a bunch of weights and bands. Working out at home is going okay.

Was in CVS yesterday, guy behind me was hawking up a lung and lifting his mask to cover his mouth. This guy was clearly ill with something. The clerk was totally freaking out and I was pretty sure he had no intention of serving him. I did not stay around for the show

:astonished: :worried:
I hope you were wearing a good mask, and showered when you got home!

always mask and scrub hands after.

as in other post assume immune for now

I always wear a mask indoors (other than at home), on the rare occasion when I have been in a car with someone other than my wife, and outdoors when in areas where there are lots of people. Outdoors in uncrowded spots I do not wear one.

I do a lot of walking around the neighborhood, and I generally do not wear one as it’s not too crowded. Occasionally some one gives me the eye for not wearing one while out walking, but I do try to give people a wide berth. I do get annoyed when runners that are breathing heavily without a mask do not give me a wide berth.

People in my area generally wear masks when appropriate. I took a drive out to a small town in the sticks a couple of months ago. I had on a mask, but it was striking how many folks there in a crowded area did not have masks on.

I always wear a mask if i leave my property. (I don’t always wear it in the car, but I’ll put it on before i leave the car.

If I’m going someplace indoors or crowded, i wear an N90 mask. If I’m just walking around the neighborhood or something i wear a softer, comfier fabric mask.

But I don’t give the stink eye to unmasked people outdoors so long as they keep their distance. And pretty much everyone does.

Man bites dog. That’s a weird story

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area (but in the burbs). Very high mask wearing levels. When I run, I don’t wear a mask, but I take a route such that I can stay very far from people. I always cross the street if I see another person. Still occasionally get the stink eye from a few folks as we “cross paths” for a few seconds from 40 feet away on the other side of the street.

The exception for whatever reason is the street I live on. We have a very social, close knit street. In general when chillin’ outside, nobody on our street wears masks, and just keeps their distance (i.e. have loud conversations with each person standing in their own yard). Only time I am uncomfortable is with one specific neighbor. He is in his late 60s, and always wants to get closer than I would like, so I am backing up as he approaches.