Random workplace scenario #583

aaaaa

Later on, junior actuaryā€™s end of year feedback from this person ( who by some weird happenstance is the one giving her it, even though he is several levels up) is to be less serious.

I wouldnā€™t consider either of those statements as ā€œflirtingā€. Obviously we have imperfect info here but from what was written just seems like a normal thing with the other person trying to make small talk.

This can be legitimate feedback, especially if you are all business all the time and never open up and just chat with coworkers / leaders. Networking isnā€™t something that goes away, and to network you need to talk about other things. If you donā€™t want to, thatā€™s fine, but be fully aware that limits your upward growth potential.

Again, imperfect info provided, so there may be other warning signs or something but this in and of itself seems like feedback I would give some actuaries.

be less serious might be okay. iā€™m not sure. it sort of rubs me as ā€œsmile moreā€ though, which is NOT okay and worthy of a dick punch. iā€™m torn. the chick probably needs to lighten up and might be nervous around higher level folk. iā€™m not sure ā€œbe less seriousā€ should be in a performance review though. make her comfortable to be less serious.

3 Likes

Does the weird happenstance include him arranging things so that he gave the review when there was somebody more appropriate to give it? Not sure exactly why, but that is the part that strikes me as the weirdest. I have had/given hundreds of reviews across multiple companies, and never had it be anybody other than immediate supervisor (though possible immediate supervisor is two ā€œlevelsā€ up if somebody recently left).

1 Like

Not flirting.

Junior actuary: What is your age?
Chief Actuary: 55 (say).
Junior actuary: (turns opens a file, checks the tableā€¦) says here you have 38 years (say) until death, on average. So, lots of life ahead.

Now, THATā€™s flirting, to an actuary.

Disclaimer

Disclaimer: not a life actuary, numbers just made up, for the sake of comedy.

7 Likes

Was it a formal review? They just said end of year feedback. Were they the only one that got feedback from that individual or did their coworkers as well? Did they also get feedback from their direct supervisor? If not, did you ask your main boss why the other guy gave the feedback?

1 Like

aaaaa

aaaaa

Sure you can. Smile and nod. No requirement to tell anyone they look great.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s because Iā€™ve asked ā€œhow was your weekendā€ one million times and isnā€™t really getting to know someone.

You could respond like ā€œIā€™m still young enough that I donā€™t have to deal with that yet. Not looking forward to getting olderā€. Or if you are worried about him flirting by saying heā€™s old and takes pills, say something like ā€œyeah my parents complained about that. Iā€™m glad Iā€™m so young and not in that stage of life yet ā€œ or something like that.

aaaaa

Say nothing like AO fan said or just complain about having to actually care about what you eat more than when you were younger or something. No need to compliment them

1 Like

aaaaa

This is a common thing to say. Donā€™t say ā€œyou are fat, yesā€. But donā€™t say ā€œno you are notā€. Just something like ā€œyeah the covid-19 is hard to avoidā€.

Do you have non-work conversations with anyone at work?

2 Likes

aaaaa

Thatā€™s fair. I sometimes forget what itā€™s like to be nervous around higher up people, but I definitely was early in my career.

Edit: should probably say more ā€˜cautiousā€™ than nervous. Donā€™t want to say the wrong thing

aaaaa

Iā€™m curious about this too.

When my immediate boss left shortly before performance reviews, (former/future) grand-boss (temporary acting boss) gave the review but only because that was the lowest level person available to do it. It would have been weird if great-grand-boss had done the review.

But weirdest would have been if great-grand-boss did my review and no one elseā€™s at my level.