Random Thoughts

I’m discussing our budget app with Mr aj. I ask if he ever looks at it besides the once a month or so (ideally) when we go over the budget. He’s supposed to pay attention enough to suggest a change. Ha! He says he does not look at it.

So I explain that I want to change to a spreadsheet version that I will set up and keep on my laptop. It will be easier for me bc …. And I will write formulas to do …. Downside is he won’t have access to it on his phone.

“You can do that?”

:woman_facepalming:

3 Likes

A coworker who always blurs his background on zoom calls has a painting or print of Frida Kahlo in his background. His computer keeps recognizing it as a person and showing it, then deciding it’s not a person and blurring it. Rinse, repeat.

Tuna outta the can? Yup, with a piece of bread makes a nice, quick snack.

Spaghetti sauce right outta the jar, no pasta, no nothing? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

:ctm:

agree with that. off a spoon from the pan? oh yeah. sometimes alone, sometimes with the sequence depicted in the cartoon.

I had spaghetti sauce and noodles for dinner.

1 Like

I’m a Prego guy myself. Jarred sauce and pasta with grilled or roasted italian sausages are just fine.

I have an italian sister in law, and she thinks that jarred pasta sauce is sacrilegious. For her, “gravy” must be made in the largest pot you own, made of canned tomatoes doctored up with oregano, garlic, and various other whatnots. I don’t tell her that hers doesn’t taste that much different than my favorite Prego, and hers is a ton more work.

Also, when I buy pasta, I go with whatever whimsical shape strikes my fancy that day, be they curly cues, wagon wheels, fusilli, corkscrews, farfalle, etc. SIL only buys ziti.

2 Likes

I grew up with homemade sauce but my mom wasn’t Italian. Hubby hated the sauce the way my mom made it and prefers Ragu—not even Prego (which IMHO is superior as far as jarred sauces go). I decided it was not a hill I wanted to die on.

Now that I know how to cook, I see how my mom’s sauce was unappealing, but a really GOOD homemade sauce has to be better. I might give it a try some free weekend.

I absolutely love this and am going to adopt it.

Prego? Ragu? Y’all need to hit up Costco and see if Rao’s is available in your neck of the woods, imo.

1 Like

I agree that Prego >> Ragu; but I think Newman’s sauces are generally the best out there in terms of jarred sauces tomato-based gravy. My favorite is the Sockarooni.

However, my favorite is a homemade sauce using diced tomatoes, tomato paste, sautéed green peppers, mushrooms (I’ll skip this if others don’t like them), and the seasonings.

1 Like

I’m gonna look for Newman’s and see if hubby notices.

If Ragu is his preferred sauce, I’d suggest starting with Newman’s Marinara sauce.

Then branch out to some of the others. Note that Sockarooni does have a bit of a bite to it (especially compared to Ragu or Prego).

1 Like

In a past life I worked with a teacher who had high school seniors in AP calculus make shapes (cylinders, cones) out of play dough & then slice them to teach the disk method.

To tie to the other recent convo in this thread, I watched the same teacher give freshmen algebra students dry spaghetti to let them “discover” on their own the triangle inequality theorem.

1 Like

James Noonan is a popular name.

He was mentioned on a PBS NEWS HOUR story about PG&E’s problems playing with fire, and I thought it was a familiar name of someone I had heard of before, so I googled it and the list is long.

Maybe I was thinking of Peggy Noonan :man_shrugging: .

Homemade marinara sauce is so easy to make and so much better than jarred. I add cheap tangy white wine to my sauce. It’s good.

My husband buys Classico at the store when we do go for jarred.

2 Likes

We need a recipe thread.

3 Likes

Need to include dumbed down instructions for the kitchen-challenged. :tfh:

2 Likes