Random Thoughts

Tell me about it.

2 Likes

Last year I bought a keyboard for an ee and SO wanted one, so I bought 2. My SO tried it, didn’t like it and that was the end of it.
Sometime later I needed a keyboard and couldn’t find that one. We tore the house apart a couple of times last year, never found it.
Last week I was moving my office desks/computer and rearranged some bookshelves. And there’s the keyboard sitting on a bookshelf. RIght there. All I had to do was spin my chair around and look. Unbelievable, given how many times I wracked my brains to remember where it was.
SO tried the keyboard again, still didn’t like it so it’s back on the shelf again. But at least this time I know where it is.

And really random thought, I let folks order their own keyboard and mouse here. IIRC when I worked at HO you got the keyboard that corporate decided, and they weren’t ever very good. Which is pretty absurd given how much time spent in a day on these things.
The programming nerds tend to go with gaming units. Marketing folks tend to go with fancy backlight, wonky layouts and non-standard ‘ergonomic’ mice.

For now…muhahahaha!!

1 Like

Yeah, and even for something that happened over 30 years ago.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Got about a foot of snow in Des Moines Friday night. 9 inches some places but 14+ at the airport.

Son’s door was frozen shut so we had to boil water to get that open. Then as I tried to use the snowblower to get his car free in the middle of the right half of the driveway, I realize that for the second time only half of the auger is working. So I get his car free under less than ideal conditions and then carve a path so that my car on the left side of the garage can get over to the right side of the driveway.

Then I unwedge the rock that has gotten caught in the snowblower auger and go to Lowe’s and get a replacement shear bolt. Back home to snowblow the rest of the driveway properly. Started around 7:30am, got son’s car open and out by 8:30, then made the trip to Lowes (in my NEW CAR) and had the driveway clear about 10:15.

How’s that new car treating you?

That new car smell must be reeeeeeal nice!!! :star_struck:

I know actuaries have waay swankier cars than my humble civic. But I love some of the new features:

Heated seats
Blind spot monitoring
Radar cruise control
Dual zone climate control
A nice looking interior
Watching it detect lanes and speed limit signs and display it to me
Today my display decided I only needed the 1-2-3 on my tachometer so it greyed out the rest.
31/42 mpg - never had a car with a 1.5L turbo before even if I don’t notice it.
And of course, the color…

6 Likes

Nah. My kid has a Honda civic touring that’s loaded like that. I love driving that car.

Hmmm, I haven’t wanted to go back to a smaller car bc of blind spots, but this could work for me.

My kid’s civic, when you turn on the right signal, has a camera that shoots down the right side of the car and displays in the console. Very cool.

Y’all gotta set up your mirrors correctly. I can see 360° in my prius with out having to do more than turn my head slightly to the left/right to look out the front windows.

4 Likes

Yup. Here is a nice summary and it’s what I’ve used for years.

3 Likes

Yeah, then hubby drives the car and messes them up. Anyway that was the one thing I hated about my Focus, and one of the reasons I won’t drive my daughter’s VW bug, even though in my heart of hearts I love small economical cars.

My other issue is that 75% of people here seem to think they need a truck. No amount of adjusting mirrors or blind spot alerts will help me back out of a parking space in a tiny car surrounded by giant trucks. I mean my small SUV isn’t much help in that regard either, but it’s slightly better.

1 Like

Yup, I hear ya’. I loathe when someone else drives my car & messes with the mirrors. My wife’s car has a nice memory button that will reset all of that for you. My Prius does not.

However, my Prius does have sensors that will alert me to rear-cross traffic. That’s really nice. The back up camera is a nice feature, too. I used to own a Honda Civic & it was rather difficult to see anything out of the back when backing up.

1 Like

I’ve heard of this as “Adaptive cruise control” . . . once you set the cruise, it’ll detect the vehicle in front of you and decrease speed if necessary.

1 Like

And it’ll also speed back up when it’s safe to do so. Like if you’ve set the cruise at 70 mph and have to slow down to 65 mph due to traffic, the car keeps remembering that you really want to be doing 70 and it’ll speed you back up when it’s safe. Which is nice.

It’s really nice if you’re following someone. Just set the cruise for faster than the person you’re following is going and it’ll stay as close to them as it deems is safe indefinitely.

1 Like

Yes, it works like a charm. On highway trips, especially during busy weekends it can be a chore following people at various speeds, so setting the cruise control and not having to pay any attention to your speed will be a delight. It slowed down behind a car in front of me (4 different distance settings) and when I switched lanes it automatically sped back up.

My old Civic had the right-side camera which really didn’t impress me, I think the left side is harder to detect and now if someone is in my blind spot, a light in my mirror notifies me.

Didn’t go for the Touring model for another $3,600. Didn’t really care about leather seats (although I now have my first leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob). Also connects to your phone wirelessly (rather than attaching a USB cord) and has turn-lane indicators on the mirrors (which would be nice).