Random Thoughts

Labor Day is not a good sports-on-TV holiday.

Everyone’s at the pool getting in one last swim before it closes.

The list of things I “should” do to control my blood pressure would require about 3 hours a day. The list is also contradictory:

1. “Do all these things.”
  2. “Avoid trying to do too much.”

Or
A. Lose weight.
B. Focus on things you can control.

At least I have the “limit alcohol” and “quit smoking” steps down.

Also my approach to trying to reduce my blood pressure probably says something about why I have high blood pressure.

1 Like

Seems like a decent enough thread for this.

https://twitter.com/talljerome/status/1442606498132209665?s=20&t=KHOWmLWVVT4y9QeWqlSdVw

One that followed in my “feed”:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1568217153844563968

2 Likes

When I see something claiming “never before or again in history” I get skeptical.

2 Likes

Remember all of the Facebook memes claiming that we should live it up because for the first time ever the next month will have five Fridays AND five Saturdays AND five Sundays and that won’t happen again until the year 4923 or something equally ridiculous.

Uh, that happens every time a 31-day month starts on a Friday, which is roughly 1/7 of the time. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

And in general, you can “reuse” the same calendar every 6, 11, or 28 years based on the following algorithm:

• Divide the year by 4 and take the remainder
  • Use the following algorithm to determine the number of years to add/subtract:
    ** 1 → 6 years
    ** 2 → 11 years
    ** 3 → 11 years
    ** 0 (leap year) → 28 years
    ** 0 (non leap) → 6 years

E.g., you can take a 2012 calendar; “change” the year to be 2023, and it should be spot on to use as a calendar.

A more accurate algorithm to capture all cases can be found here (look at the second “post” answering the question).

At most, you’d only have to wait 40 years–be an interesting exercise to show this given that there are only 14 total calendar patterns to use.

1 Like

I just saw a guy walking down the street twirling a pizza dough. Random.

1 Like

I went to a a soccer match:Atlanta vs Toronto. Saw a guy there wearing a Sandy Koufax Dodgers shirt and a NY Mets hat. Why? Guy was definitely not alive to see Koufax pitch.

Not really into numerology or number theory

2012 was a leap year and doesn’t work for 2023, but my paper planner friends say 2017 works for 2023. And I guess it fits the algorithm.

I guess that algorithm doesn’t have an easily-identified inverse element.
:grimacing:

So it’s present form is “forward looking” . . .

Revised algorithm:

• Divide the year of interest by 4 and take the remainder
  • Use the following chart to determine the number of years to add to get the next occurrence:
Remainder Add to get next year
1 6
2 11
3 11
0 (leap year) 28
0 (non leap) 6

I tried to get the “inverse,” but it’s not as easily displayed given that the earlier year might be a leap year and creates some quirky descriptions.

I think you’re making it too hard. I think you were taking the last digit of 2012 (2) looking up 2 in the algorithm, and adding 11.

But that’s not the algorithm. The algorithm is to take the remainder when dividing by 4.

For 2012 that’s not 2, it’s 0.

You add 28 years. That works. Algorithm is fine.

1 Like

I am tempted to cross-post in the innumeracy thread, however! :wink:

No. I’m very familiar with “clock arithmetic” and now that the remainder of 2012 mod 4 is zero.

I was originally looking to see what prior year calendar to use for 2023. This number has a remainder of 3 and hence subtracted 11 to get the year to use–not looking to see if the “forward” direction would still hold. (Hence my statement about inverses not being “simple” in this calculation.)

But I think the “inverse” operations are as follows:

+ 6 <==> -11
+11 <==> - 6
+28 <==> -28

OK. Well I was just trying to figure out how you came up with this (incorrect) statement.

Yeah, you definitely can’t divide the later year by 4 and subtract.

I think adding or subtracting 28 always works unless you hit a non-leap-year century (1900, 2100, 2200, etc) in between. You don’t always need to go forward / back that far, but you can. The centuries that aren’t leap years disrupt the pattern though.

Sort of like how multiplying two denominators always gives you a common denominator, even if it’s not the lowest.

You can; but that algorithm isn’t nearly as straight forward as the “forward” algorithm.

I agree that going forward, 28 years works except for starting with a non-leap-year century.

Start Add (Next Remainder) Cum Add (Next-Next Remainder) Cum Add (Next^3 Remainder)
1 +6 (3) +17 (2) +28 (1)
2 +11 (1) +17 (3) +28 (2)
3 +11 (2) +22 (1) +28 (3)

In the case of a non-leap-year century, you’ll get to +6 (and resulting remainder of 2) and this cycle will now follow the second row of the above table (+6, +17, +23, +34).

you guys are such :nerd_face: s

you know, a nerd contest among actuaries…

-sigh-