Random Thoughts

It never occurred to me to put fluff out for birds. But Iā€™m wearing some not-very-new-but-never-worn-before slippers which are leaving piles of fluff all over. Maybe I should gather it and put it out for the birds.

Sent some imā€™s to my marketing person for our monday 8am zoom we have. No response, which is really oddā€¦oh yeah, todays a holiday lol.

My kids are off school, but Iā€™m working. No holiday for me. I got P-day off when I worked at MMC, but no other company has given it.

I created a graph that compares my salary as of the beginning of each year since Iā€™ve been employed as an actuary, with a line from that year representing cumulative inflation (CPI-U) from that year, to see how Iā€™ve compared.

Itā€™s about what I expected, but data is interesting when visualized.

Everything is represented in terms of my current salary.

Iā€™m looking to track when I get back to where I was before inflation took off. It will probably take a few years to catch up to that blue line.

I should probably do the expense report for my CAS dues before I get a nastygram about it.

2 Likes

:notes: Itā€™s the most wonderful time of the year :musical_note: ā† clicky clicky

2 Likes

:iatp:

2 Likes

Learned today that Sony must make a Spider-Man movie every 5 years and 9 months or they lose the rights to the IP.

I understand now why there have been so many Spider-Man reboots that I canā€™t keep track of them all. Andrew Garfieldā€¦ the mousy Spider-Man whoā€™s a good dancer IRLā€¦ animated Miles Morales & Gwenā€¦ the other life-action onesā€¦

1 Like

Usually go into the office on Tuesdays, but Iā€™m very light on both work and meetings today, which never happens, so I decided to stay home and do the bare minimum.

Which of course is more stressful than being overworked and overbooked, somehow.

Late night thoughts as I wait for Wordle and Connections: am I making any kind of difference in this world? When I die, will anyone think the world is a little worse off as a result? Or will I not be missed?

I donā€™t live my life for any kind of recognition, and Iā€™ll continue to do what I think matters and try to make a small impact while living a small life, and Iā€™ll find contentment in that. But, does it even matter? Itā€™s just a drop in the ocean, and I feel overwhelmed by all the things I cannot change. For every drop, there is so much evil that overshadows it. But all I have to give are drops.

I donā€™t want any responses to any of those questions. Itā€™s not about what other people think of me, itā€™s about how I think about myself, thatā€™s the whole journey.

4 Likes

Perhaps, we need a Deep Thoughts thread.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve been staying up late enough for wordle too.

1 Like

Everyone is talking about how smooth and tasty and maybe a little sweet and non-bitter I am over in the quitting drinking thread. Everyone loves me, I get it already!

3 Likes

I think this is a question we all struggle with at some point. Iā€™m comfortable that Iā€™ve answered it for me to a reasonable level.

Iā€™m not going to be famous. Iā€™m not going to set the world on fire with business. I am more than happy making personal connections and being a good person to my family and those in my community. Proof of that will be when I die, I expect a good turnout at my funeral.

I make a deliberate effort to achieve those goals, I donā€™t just drift.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve sort of given up on making a real difference. That would require getting other people to behave. I settle for making a difference where I can and not beating myself up over the rest. Like the guy throwing starfish back into the ocean.

1 Like

That was my thought.

1 Like

Very random but thatā€™s why weā€™re here.

Was making a friend (A) recently, who introduced me to yet another friend (B). I got a tiny bit of ā€œbad vibeā€ from B but shook it off, figuring itā€™s good to meet new people. Not long after I met A, they broke up with a romantic partner (C).

Several months later, B just yesterday told A that B had slept with C two weeks after the breakup with A, specifically done to hurt A because B does that as a self-destructive tendency.

I fully believe Aā€™s story and have zero interest in following up. We think B is a narcissist because they were trying to get A to yell at them and fight, and they wouldnā€™t engage.

Not long ago I texted B about hanging out. Weā€™ll see if they respond. If they do I think my response will be,

"I think we can stop communicating any further. It would be embarrassing to remain associated with you. I would say sorry, but you are the one who made your choices. I hope you make better choices in the future.

2 Likes

Why did you text B about hanging out if you donā€™t want to?

Or was that before you found out about B sleeping with C?

1 Like

I texted A and B to say ā€œhey we should do this together soonā€, and A called me right after. B just told A about sleeping with C yesterday, though it happened 2-3 months ago.

so, you should sleep with C, just to mess with B

1 Like