Random Thoughts

Okay, okay, everyone settle down… I’ll just go ahead and be the best, mmmkay?

1 Like

Looking up 2020 income tax filing thresholds (as in “you are required to file a return if you meet these criteria and have income of at least $X” which varies by criteria).

Mostly pretty mundane stuff… $400 if you have Self-Employment income, $12,400 if you are single and under 65, $14,050 if you are single and over 65, etc.

But this part made me :laughing: (emphasis mine):

I like that they acknowledge that it’s so hard to believe it’s right that they figure people will assume it’s a typo.

Yes, I am a nerd. I actually have a pair of socks that say “I am a nerd… and not the cool kind”. I acknowledge this about myself.

3 Likes

The longest road trip between two cities/towns/whatever in the continental united states (that I can find after not a lot of work) is from Imperial Beach, CA to Caribou, ME

Would Key West, FL to Alaska count??? :thinking:

Only if you dukes of hazard over that part of Canada.

1 Like

The 2022 March Madness tournament starts tonight. Be sure to enter before it’s too late! ← clicky clicky doit doit doit doit !!!one

Continental US = lower 48

Wikipedia lists a few:

Extreme distances[edit]

1 Like

Continental should refer to the 48 + Alaska. Contiguous means lower 48. The disqualifying word is “in” since a land route to Alaska from the 48 would not be entirely in the US.

1 Like

Usually AK does not count as “continental” USA, which I interpret as the 48 contiguous states.

But Key West to Neah Bay WA seems longer than CA to ME.

1 Like

Duh, I knew that :slight_smile:

just saw an article about the top 20 easiest passwords. But who can use these passwords? Every site now rejects all my first few passwords because they’re not secure enough

Are you not allowing driving through Canada? From most points west of the Mississippi River (and many East as well), going through Canada is the fastest way to get to Caribou, ME.

Which app were you checking for driving directions and is there a setting for “don’t go through Canada no matter how much time it saves me?”

Off hand I would have guessed Neah Bay, WA would be a contender for the west coast end of the trip if you’re disallowing ferries or intermediate points in Canada. It’s quite a bit further west than anywhere in CA which I would think would make up for being further north.

The east coast end is almost certainly somewhere in Maine.

If you’re disallowing Canada, I can’t see how California can possibly be right. You’d want to start as far north as you could because then you’d be forced to go all the way down to the Ohio Turnpike to avoid Canada, which is way way south of both the origin and destination, and would add loads of miles to the trip.

But I’m not seeing a “don’t drive through Canada” option on Google Maps to confirm and I have to add way too many stops to stay out of Canada to get a good mileage number.

If you allow driving through Canada then we’re obviously talking about somewhere in Alaska. Wales or Point Hope, maybe.

Google Maps is calling this 3,665.

And Cape Flattery basically is Neah Bay, but yeah, very slightly further west.

I can’t get a non-Canada mileage number on Cape Flattery to anywhere in ME further than Bangor.

But Cape Flattery to Bangor (all within US) is 3,479 and Bangor to Madawaska, ME is 205, so… I’m thinking it’s further to go from Cape Flattery to Madawaska than Key West if you disallow Canada.

But… the two are practically identical, which is interesting.

I’m not positive Madawaska is furthest, but it seemed like a good candidate.

I just realized (perhaps, re-realized) that “stat reserves” can be typed with only the left hand (if you use the lh for the space bar, that is).

My last name is entirely left hand. Kinda sinister…

1 Like

literally!

Not to brag too much, but I can actually type any word with just my left hand.

1 Like

What’s your other hand doing? Or do we want to know?