Random Political Thoughts

Previous one sucked balls. Sub-awful.

This one woukd be better if the dark MN shaped area were closer to MN shape.

I liked some other options more. This is fine. Those getting mad overlap a lot w the folks still insisting on calling it “lake calhoun” and not “bde mka ska”.

2 Likes

There’s an unfortunate typo in your post you may want to correct. Otherwise I agree.

Grey gave Minnesota’s old flag “worst in the union” when he graded the state flags. Originally posted elsewhere on GoA but reposted for convenience:

1 Like

I will admit to saying “the city formerly known as Barrow, Alaska” because… uh, I have no idea how to say or spell the new/original name. :woman_shrugging:

No disrespect intended to the Inuit people. I’m happy to say Mt. Denali rather than Mt. McKinley. My brain can handle “Denali” but “Utqiagvik” (which I had to look up) is hard for me.

2 Likes

“Some observers compared the new Minnesota flag to that of Somalia’s Puntland region”

Thats a blue/ white/ green striped flag with a white 5 point star in the blue. A random flag generator would struggle to come up with something more dissimilar.

2 Likes

I want to think that when i saw that on x originally, the MN flag they had was closer, but maybe it was a semi finalust design.

1 Like

100% this.

People flying the old flag now are just virtue signaling their lack of virtue.

1 Like

I certainly hope your friend is not one of those upsef by it, or providing cover/excuses for those upset.

Anyone going down that route has some seriouse right-wing media brain-rot going on.

I like the flag (and new state seal).

It is a huge improvement over what we had before.

Tangentially, I am acquaintances with one of the artists that worked on both committees. I talk to him occasionally at a mutual friend’s restaurant (Oro), which displays a lot of his artwork.

2 Likes

No, she was mildly disappointed that they went with her second favorite design instead of her favorite among the three finalists, but she was happy they’re changing the flag and groaning about the haters.

1 Like

Almost name-dropper.

Lolz.

I should have mentioned his name, sorry.
I just didn’t think anyone would have known who he was or even recognized his art.
Maybe some have seen his “gorilla art” around Minneapolis.

Also, the restaurant in question was just named
“Restaurant of the Year” by the Star Tribune (and pretty much all other local publications). I will brag more about this place, as I have much more of a connection to it than i do to Louis.

1 Like

This is a reference to his “graffiti” where he puts large prints on electrical boxes and other public items around the city.

This is one of the styles you might see around Minneapolis in random places, mostly i south Minneapolis

OK, are they pictures/paintings of gorillas, or is his art performed in an impromptu way, often without authorization?
You know, the other way of spelling?

Asking for Dian Fossey.

1 Like

Tired brain or more likely just plain stupidity on my part.

I meant “Guerilla Art.”

1 Like

No worries.

I wonder what the reaction by Republican politicians would be if the Democrats pushed for tooth brushing in the schools? Some interesting statistics on the UK population in the article.

1 Like

Wowza. It’s so hard to get dental treatment in the crappy NHS system that the solution isn’t to improve the NHS … it’s to enforce a nanny state?

Can you say “slippery slope”???

If kids brush in the morning & evening they shouldn’t have rotting teeth. And if the NHS didn’t suck so much they should be able to provide proper dental healthcare.

A bunch of years ago I had the opportunity to move to London for work. I declined, in large part because I was afraid of the NHS. Stuff like Charlie Gard and now this shows I was right to steer clear.

The problem is that some of those MPs are in the pocket of the sugar lobby.

They will actively fight against common sense policies no matter how crazy they may sound.

You mean the “woke tooth agenda” pushed by Big Pharma? The flouride in the friggin toothpaste is turning the friggin frogs gay!

OK, now, who’s job is it to tell their children to brush their teeth morning and night, and, heck, even after lunch? I’ll give you a hint: it is the parents. Now, why don’t parents do this? In the annals of comedic history, there are several tales of shitty British teeth. Seems to be a cultural thing. So, Brits, change your fucking shitty-tooth culture. I mean it!

1 Like