Yawn

So what is the cut off?
Your lifetime?
parents lifetime?
grandparents lifetime time?
100 years ago?
200 years ago?
Never?

I mean seriously when is enough, enough and what do you hope to accomplish?

I’m guessing, “oh so you had Nazi Bastard relatives in the 30s and 40s so F-U” is unlikely to be a quality ice breaker.

2 Likes

the holocaust is the cutoff.

that’s not a direct quote. i asked someone of german decent if they come from nazi’s. they didn’t. we can still be friends though if they did as long as they aren’t proud of their ancestry.

That is exactly why I don’t claim to be indigenous. I think it’s interesting but the story is that my great grandfather rejected that heritage and moved away to a place where he would pass as white. And I don’t really know about the people before him.

actually, my parents were alive during the holocaust too, so one generation removed isn’t a whole lot.

I do

How do you feel about NASA?

:confused:

NASA funded my 4-year college scholarship. But engineering didn’t fit my interests.

My dad, a native German, was a US Army Captain leading the troops to liberate Dachau. His sister married a Jew and had converted. Dad didn’t discuss it until my sister found his Army journal 40 years later. :frowning:

my grandfather didn’t want to talk about his time serving in world war 2 in the US military either. i think it was too traumatic.

i don’t think he liberated any concentration camps though. that seems really traumatic. we have a kickass photo of him behind dead german bodies and a tank at battle of the bulge though.

I drive a german car.

Do I have blood on my hands too

no, but i wouldn’t buy one

1 Like

probably

1 Like

the story is that my great grandfather rejected that heritage and moved away to a place where he would pass as white

My BIL is First Nations, but has no registry and never mentions it. IIRC that was passed down from his family. Interestingly, some of his kids take the same attitude, but one of them has made being FN’s part of is public identity.

As for me, maybe some of my great great ancestors were involved in colonizing half the world, but none of that’s on me.

RESCIND YOUR WHITE PRIVILEGE NEOOOOOOOOW

I think my FIL had a grandparent that was 1/2 native American. He likes to identify as Cherokee. that gives him an excuse to be a lazy POS his whole life. I did not tell my kids they have a native ancestor, because then I would to admit they are related to my FIL in the first place.

I did some research and I really think his grandmother was native. For years I thought he was just blowing smoke, but upon review, turns out true. Unclear how much native his grandmother was, but Id say at least 50%.

The father of one of my BFFs served in a Nazi / German U-Boat. When he was 13 his step-father overheard him calling Hitler an idiot (or something along those lines) and the stepfather turned him in to the SS. At that point his choice was a gas chamber or a U-Boat so he chose the U-Boat. Got the #€!! out of Germany as soon as the war was over though.

He had a lot of shame and guilt over it and had bouts of depression the rest of his life. It’s a heck of a thing to live with. Once again… he was thirteen years old. A literal child. I can’t imagine living with that.

Same. Mine was on Tinian and watched the Enola Gay take off with the bomb on it and watched it come back and land empty. But all he’d ever say to us grandkids was that it was no fun watching his friends get killed. He was dating my grandmother the whole time though (I think he had “pinned” her before he left, which was the WWII-era equivalent of “pre-engaged”) and she saved his letters… although I’m not sure where those are now. And he talked to her a little about it when he first got back. But that’s all we know because he didn’t want to talk about it.