Racial/Ethnic Identity Question(s)

And the woman who has summited Everest the most is a sherpa working at Whole Foods in Connecticut -

1 Like

Dna said im 100 percent british white going back.forever. Then they updated to.say that ive got maybe 5% viking.

And i cant get any culture tattoos. I mean, try and find one that doesnt have people asking kkk type questions. i suppose i could get a set of bagpipes.

If there’s some Scottish, you could find your family’s tartan and use that somehow.

Surely there’s an English football club logo or royal portrait you could get to embrace your English heritage.

1 Like

And if it’s not Scottish, it’s crap.

3 Likes

RN :laughing:

My ex’s current husband’s family worked for the Nazi during its reign.
They’re not shy talking about it.
Maybe it’s because I’m not a Jew.

Ironically, I think they’re part Jewish too. But they’re very Caucasian. Whole family of blondes and blue eyes.

So do you blame descendants of slave owners?

are jews not caucasian? jews can be blonde, blue eyed.

yes

but my ancestors weren’t american slaves, so it’s less personal.

1 Like

ao_fan, what are you hoping to get from these people? To make them feel bad? To treat you more nicely? To let you take the last donut?

well the only person i think i said this to assured me that his ancestors have been in the US for hundreds of years and therefore were not german nazis.

also, not sure the fan family was actually killed by nazis. i think we scattered across the globe during the war. maybe some distant cousins though.

I’m not sure I’d feel any shame if my ancestors worked for the Nazis.

There were a lot of Nazis.

I would. It is something to be ashamed of.

why? you didn’t do anything.

No one should be born with original shame.

if people take pride in their ancestors, the reverse should be true too

I think if we take any of our histories back far enough some terrible things happened. The world was built on conquest.

back far enough isn’t the same as something your grandparents were involved in and i actually knew them.

sounds like you can’t be friends with someone of Nazi descent if that’s how you’re questioning them.

Not great for unity, but further divide!