Queen Elizabeth II (the non-RIP thread version)

If our son had been a girl, we were planning to name her Catherine, and call her Charlie for a nickname. Nope, not interested in your opinions on that.

2 Likes

That one goes through Rick, which kinda makes sense in both directions. More in Richard → Rick than in Rick → Dick though.

Did not know this.
The Jacks I know are just Jacks

Trump breaks royal etiquette, walks in front of Queen - YouTube

USA! USA! USA! :us:

I like that idea

He just looks super self-interested which, of course, Trump. I’m up for respecting other nation’s wonkiness in the name of good diplomacy but, as an American, the notion that a person could be inherently superior to another (i.e. royal or otherwise) is absurd, as explained in the declaration of independence.

Interesting. I have a sister Catherine, and she is called Cassi. It never would have occurred to us to spell it Kassi. I had an Aunt Kathy whose given name was Katherine.

Learned something new today. :grinning:

I have an aunt Kathi, but her full name is Kathleen. Which has the same root as Catherine / Katherine, but a different name.

Up to now I’ve only heard Cassie / Cassi as a nickname for Cassandra. :woman_shrugging:

I think Catherine was for my grandma and Cassi was for a dear friend of my mom’s. My mom’s friend may have had a given name of Cassandra, not sure. Mom didn’t like the name Cathy bc of another family member with that name, who wasn’t, um, the kind of upstanding citizen Mom wanted us kids to become.

1 Like

yeah, having to walk behind a royal bugs me. the only reason it wouldn’t really bug me in that case is because she was a tiny elderly lady. with the current king, i ain’t walking behind him.

trump looked like a doofy awkward idiot though getting all confused and trapping the queen behind him and then walking besides her making small talk. wish there was a microphone to know what he was saying to her. she probably hated him.

1 Like

I don’t know who 7 is… is that some movie character / joke about Prince Andrew? :oyh:

Regardless, Archie should be before Lillibet. And that’s obviously from September 8 as William was made Prince of Wales on September 9.

i was assuming game of thrones character, but i never watched game of thrones.

2 Likes

Me either.

Yes, very likely.

Not sure if you were being sarcastic but, notwithstanding the noble sentiments of the D of I, we have not had a good record of not claiming superiority, for example:

Europeans >Natives, Whites>Blacks

And I believe Roman Catholic Americans may regard the Pope as superior to other folks.

I’m not claiming that all Americans have always stuck true to the view that it’s an absurd notion that one person is inherently superior than another.

But I assert it is an American ideal, the notion that one person being superior to another is absurd, and anathema to what it means to be American. In support I put forth the declaration of independence.

2 Likes

Add, “simply because of being born into status,” and/or “thus have privileges that others do not according to the law.”
Though, black folk be all, “hold my beer, since 1776,…”

take out “inherently” and this is basic human nature and far from absurd. And I don’t think any human is intelligent enough to truly understand “inherently”

We also don’t live our lives “inherently”.

We have enough external factors to attribute superiority to.