Professional Golf Thread

Gonna guess that these courses in tournaments pay for divot replacement.
As a regular golfer on a regular course, you and I replace our own divots, as a matter of etiquette.
Their caddies will rake the bunkers, i notice.

If the greens are too dry, or too wet, groundskeepers will get involved, directed by the tournament officials as to when, like every third pairing or what-not.

1 Like

There are a shitload of divots from the practice rounds from all over the course. Players drop balls and hit from wherever they want and the caddy should replace the divot. During the tournament, the caddies do replace every divot made. Divots are not always one smooth piece (they disintegrate or are too thin).

More common for divots to be filled with sand mixture to regrow grass. For a course like TCC if player doesn’t fill in with sand, grounds crew will fill in after round.

1 Like

The carts at my local public course even has special sand bottles attached for specifically this purpose.

1 Like

As I stated before, you, as a duffer, should replace your divots or fill them with sand.
One issue with pros on TV is that it slows up the game if every divot needs to be replaced. That caddie will be behind the golfer a minute or so.

Anyway, I enjoyed the score bug this weekend, in which the player they were showing on the TV had their standing in orange, along with the leaders in white. Underneath the leaders with their current score and placement if they were behind the leaders. If the player was a leader, then their score and placement was shown in orange, until they switched to another player. And, then the placement would switch when non-par scores on a hole were made.

I also liked the way that the scoring for the on-screen player was covered.

Well, that was a very interesting Sunday of Open Golf.

Rory just could not get a putt to drop and Cam, who could not getting anything to drop Saturday, made everything coming in. Cam Young bogeyed 1 and 9 which is not an easy thing to do.

Driving those greens seems like a lot of luck involved. Any of those tiny braes in the way could knock a drive way off. (I know it would mine, though I would not be “driving the green” as much as “just hitting it as hard as I can and hope it goes 220.”)
Rough seemed rather short. I guess that is not the style of St Andrews (while at other venues, it is THE style).

Hello there, folks. I hope I’m asking this question in the right place. See, I’ve missed a month of training sessions. How long would it take me to be back in shape? TIA for your replies. Hopefully, my father won’t kill me because of this. Anyway, I think I should prepare something in advance to apologize to him. You know, my father is very strict. I still regret that I’ve missed a month. Anyway, as far as I know, my dad is a great fan of good golf drivers. Do you know where I could get a good one? I’d be really grateful for any suggestions, guys.

Drivers can be a little tricky as they can look and feel different for different golfers. More importantly, the shaft will have as much impact as the head as a top notch head will not perform if the shaft is completely out of balance with the swing speed.

If money is no object, bring him to a PGA Superstore or something comparable and have him fitted. If he selects the recent best Callaway or Taylor Made driver, it would cost about $500. If you are looking for something less, then part of it comes in to what he has and how fast he swings. If he has older clubs, is over 60 and is mediocre golfer, then a slightly older version for Callaway or TM would be recommended. I still love my Mavrik (which is 2020 model). The EPIC is the 2021 (there is a 2019 EPIC as well, do not get that). Select a senior shaft (regular is under 60 and in better shape). Not sure what TM model would fit those years.

Bump… for The Masters Invitation mixup:

Apparently, the PGA Golfer had (past tense, and I’m not sure if he was a client or the owner) a Sports Management Company in a building next door to the non-PGA Golfer in St Simons Island. I mean, that’s probably weird enough. But why would The Masters send an invitation to a former Sports Management Company? Maybe that’s the address they had on file, as he was last there in 2014 (before his PED suspension).

Storybook finish at the PGA Championship on Sunday for Brooks Koepka and Michael Block. Who the heck is Michael Block? I’ll let you find your own individual articles, but they won’t do it justice. I’m glad I watched (on my DVR of course) most of the coverage this weekend.

1 Like

Did get to see his shot on 15 live (TV) which was neat.

No, you get in to the Majors by earning it, based on the requirements.

The “SEC!” chant of golf.

Nick Taylor becomes first Canadian in 69 years to win the Canadian open. Won in dramatic fashion with a 72 foot eagle putt on the fourth playoff hole.

Loved the CBS commentator’s reference to “glorious and free” when he sunk the putt!

3 Likes

Tried watching a bit the the US Open, played in Los Angeles, CA at the Los Angeles Country Club, but meh. Yes, there is a marine layer over L.A. today. Stated at least four times in the first four 15 minutes of the broadcast.
Might watch some Saturday/Sunday.

Great start by Fowler, would love to see him get a major. He was so good for a while and one of the best never to win one but he has fallen off a lot the last few years.

2 Likes

Still rates a full article, missing the cut by a hundred strokes.

And now we know why Phil took the blood money: