Pro-sharpeners

Do any of you pay people to sharpen your knives? I got this block at home and I guess I can do it in a few seconds but I hear the pros do a way better job.

There’s an older guy who has a blade sharpening booth at our town’s farmers market. I like to support him by throwing him a few bucks to sharpen our knives a couple times a year.

I have an older model of the sharpener below, Chef’s Choice sharpeners aren’t cheap but they seem to be highly regarded. I’m not an expert but mine works very well. It doesn’t do serrated knives or sharpen scissors, I had a guy for that in Colorado but not one in Kansas yet.

1 Like

I have some stones, and a fancy Spyderco thing. I sometimes use the Spyderco on my kitchen knives, but i generally prefer to drop them off it the hardware store for sharpening. I use the stones to sharpen my pocket knives.

I used to do a lot of whittling, and i still like to keep a set of perfectly sharpened pocket knives. So I guess i vote for a couple of whetstones for precision sharpening.

I have one of those as well. I agree that they are highly regarded. That’s why I bought one. It’s good enough for a midwestern Caucasian who gets his barbeque sauce out of a jar. ymmv.

2 Likes

Are you me? Are we both Jables?

3 Likes

Sometimes I log in under different accounts on different browsers just so I have someone to talk to.

Regards,
Jables.

4 Likes

We’ve taken our main kitchen knives for professional sharpening before. They do come back as sharp as new.

We also have a sharpening stone and a sharpening steel. The steel gets used often. I should probably hit a few of the knives with the stone soon.

I use the steel every time i use one of the good kitchen knives.

Hmm, no, that’s not true. I always use it before carving meat, and before using the paring knives for anything substantive. I don’t use it on the Global knives or the kasumi, though.

2 Likes

Yes, I always use the steel before carving meat as I want that blade as sharp as possible. It is nice to have a dedicated carving knife, as it stays really sharp if you only use it for that purpose.

I took a couple of knife sharpening courses so I know how to use a stone. still I normally just use the electric sharpener when necessary. In between I use the steel routinely.
My brother is a chef he’s a sight to see when he uses a steel. Like jeepers, watch your fingers.

1 Like

No, I’m afraid if the knives are too sharp I’d cut myself.

I heard that Ginsu was the way to go when it comes to knives.

Whereas i want to cut my food precisely, without ripping or tearing or crushing it, and with minimal effort. So I like nice sharp kitchen knives.

I don’t make stuff that requires that level of precision. Usually things all go into the pot or wok and gets mushed up anyway.

1 Like

knives are like people, dull ones are dangerous

2 Likes

That’s some sharp commentary from the colonel.

2 Likes

I had 2 chefs knives sharpened by a pro and I wasn’t impressed.

1 Like

It’s actually the opposite IMO: using a dull knife means you have to use a lot more force

1 Like

I have all the force. I’m more worried about it slightly gliding over my finger and shredding my finger open. I imagine super sharp knives be like: I touch the blade with my finger and it’s full Kill Bill moment.