Something extravagant you bought just because

Wut, you just told me what I’m buying my SO for valentines day. Thanks.
Now, if you’d just buy it and wrap it for me as well (a card wouldn’t kill you either), that’d be great.

It’s not extravagant, but i bought the Oxo gooseneck electric kettle. I think i picked it because it was the cheapest of the highly rated gooseneck electric kettles, but i think it’s cute.

I use it to make tea every day. I don’t really need a gooseneck, except the handful of times each year i make pour-over coffee. But i like that i can pour the water exactly where i want over the tea leaves, and i like that it never spills a drop. And the interface is easy to use. I heat water to 200f for black tea, and to 175f for green tea, and it brings it to whatever temp i set, gives one discreet beep, and then holds it there until it thinks I’ve forgotten about it, at which point it turns itself off.

(I think it holds the temp for half an hour. I’m not actually certain, as I’ve not yet forgotten. But my daughter sometimes forgets, and it doesn’t stay on forever.)

2 Likes

Ooh I like that. It might go on my birthday list. :grin:

@SpaceLobster , you can set it to Celsius, if you prefer.

Well who wouldn’t?

How do I feel about Fahrenheit?

2 Likes

Nothing like seeing 32 as the water freezing point and I don’t even know what the boiling point is.

0 and 100 are just too easy

And 10cm cubed of water is a liter. A liter of water weighs a kilogram

Meanwhile, an inch.is the width of some dead guys thumb.

2 Likes

Eh, 200F, 93C, they are exactly equivalent in ease.

I actually prefer “English measures” for volume because there’s a different unit for every factor of 2-4. So you never have to deal with large numbers. I agree that metric weights and lengths are simpler. But i think Fahrenheit and Celsius are exactly equivalent, and it’s just a question of what you are familiar with.

The metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets 40 rods to the hogshead and that’s the way I likes it!

2 Likes

IFYP, eh.

I think it was correct the first time. Phrased oddly, but correct.

1 Like

“It’ll go 300 hectares on a single tank of kerosene”

2 Likes

Phrased odddly? What’s 10 cubed in imperial?

This just needs a comma or something. Otherwise you can read it as 10 cm^3

Yeah I read it as 10 cubic cm.

Looks like Google agrees with me.

1 Like

I feel everyone here can get it from context.
Even after all the recent posts, I still feel like there was little to no confusion.
I"M NOT SETTING RESERVES HERE PEOPLE! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ten cubed is a thousand. Ten of what? Well in this case it’s centimeters. How else are you supposed to phrase it?

10 cubic cm

But it’s 1,000 cubic centimetres that tally one litre.

1 Like

10cm cubed of water is ice, imo.

I understood what the lobster was saying.

2 Likes