Possibility or Paranoia

Actually, getting it all out would be better, heart-attack-wise. Your advice (drink alcohol, eat fat-laden products) creates heart attacks.

Also, while everyone is “chilling” (exactly what THEY want us to do), Trump and his team of traitors are working to invalidate an election.
Go create a whiskey and cheese thread, if you think that will help.
(Not sure which cheese goes with whiskey, so I’ll be there, learning something.)

1 Like

I don’t think that made much difference at all. The protests were outside and people were wearing masks. There is very little increase following protests. The case loads seem to be coming from indoor events: house parties and White House events for Amy Coney Barrett and that sort of thing.

Appropriate funding probably contributed to re-opening. I don’t know if there’s enough money in the coffers to allow the shut-down to have continued though. I’m not sure there’s actually a good solution on that aspect of it.

Regarding masks… I mostly ignore it because the vast majority of people I see wear their masks, and continue to social distance. All the stores require masks and have marked out distancing for lines and stuff. Restaurants have blocked off intervening tables and have very limited seating, and many restaurants only provide delivery or pick-up options. I hear the same thing from people in other states. So my impression is that Trump’s noisiness hasn’t really had a material effect on the use or disuse of masks. Of course, what you’re going to see on social media (and a chunk of news too) is going to be selecting those handful of people without masks who are playing the dope role and highlight them as if they’re common. But really - do you see a lot of people in NY rolling around without masks?

That’s entirely possible. I saw a lot of conflicting imagery regarding the protests (and related riot/counter-riot/looting/troublemaking) as far as masks go. I saw a lot of imagery of everyone wearing masks, but i saw a lot without masks too. The protests in my area lasted just a couple of days, so everything I have is second hand.

Spikes in my area (and those of some colleagues in other states) correlated with restaurant and bar openings, definitely. Also went hand-in-hand with the peak ages for June through July dropping down to the 20-30 range instead of the 65+.

You must not be going to frat parties much these days. Or house parties. Or Trump rallies. Or the annual Sturgis Motorcycle rally. Or…

I prefer a really sharp cheddar and sliced apple.

:laughing: I’m still living in semi-quarantine status, so no. The worst so far was about a month ago, when my parents were as well as the couple next door!

huh? many people think that social distancing is not necessary anymore and that’s because of trump’s attitude. in NY, staten island has possibly the highest infection rate right now and that’s because people on there are all trump supporters and don’t take this seriously. Trump’s super spreader events are DIRECTLY responsible for increased spread. how can you not blame him here?

also, NY doesn’t live in a bubble. even if we follow social distancing, if other states don’t, it harms us.

1 Like

\textcolor{red}{\text{I said, MAKE A NEW THREAD!!!}}

Yeah, colors. Jealous??

1 Like

Could people just stop replying to Helena and her threadjacking? kthnx

3 Likes

I think that’s coloring your perception of how irresponsible people are being. You’re only in situations where people are required to wear masks so you see people wearing masks and you are wrongly assuming that mask-wearing isn’t having much impact in the difference between this country’s infection rate and that of others.

But there are significant differences that are having significant impact.

1 Like

It is inappropriate for the DOJ also, but here we are

And back on topic, if no one’s elected president by January 20th, the speaker of the house becomes acting president. And the speaker of the house is appointed by a simple majority, and doesn’t even need to be an elected representative. So, a bit of comfort there- one of the “fail states” of our electoral process could lead to acting president Biden.

1 Like

I think most Trump supporters wear masks when required but won’t if they don’t have to, and are willing to gather closer, and in larger groups then those private situations. Mocking masks, rather than making it a sign of patriotism, is a contributing factor in the spread in the US.

Really? So like, they could appoint Barack Obama to be SOTH if they wanted? Interesting; I never knew that.

President Pelosi - I think the militias are going to show up if that happens.

You don’t think that states representing 270 votes will be able to assemble next month to vote? Seems unlikely.

And even if they didn’t, well, crap, I guess they could refuse to hold the vote for POTUS… taking a page from McConnell’s playbook.

God, McConnell is such a nightmare. He’s set such terrible precedents. Ugh!!!

I may need to close the thread due to Helena;s trolling, especially since totally off topic.

BTW, US 4% of world population, 20% of deaths, 20% of cases last 2 weeks.

Anyone talking about growth must not be an actuary, Had a much lower denominator as they actually did something to reduce the first wave. We never had a second wave as there was 0 national effort to stop the first wave.

1 Like

I would like nothing more than to hear the pop pop pop of the heads of those rural bumblefucks if they try to make a move against a secret service protected official.

Not just a matter of assembly - could also happen if neither candidate gets a majority of the EVs, and the Democratic House freezes the process before it becomes a contingent election. But yes, very unlikely. Only slightly more likely than a coup.