Political truths that are worth sharing but aren’t funny

I don’t know how people can have rational discussions without some shared facts.

So, “everyone has their own facts” or “there are no facts”, pretty much preclude rational discussion.

Again, it reminds me a school board meeting comments (might have read it on GoA) about one parent saying something like each family should be able to choose what facts they believe in.

That is always true. Some families are religious, for example.

However, the school board is going to choose the facts that teachers will teach, via approved syllabi and textbook choices.

I take that back. The phrase was “choose what science” to believe in.

Well they can do that too. I know credentialed actuaries who believe that the earth is 6,000 years old and was created in precisely 144 hours.

But I’m pretty sure they also learned actual science in school.

I hate that anti-science people like this (and those that ignore other scientific information) can hide their decisions to ignore facts under the blanket of religion.

For some reason we choose to protect this level of stupidity. It has definitely started to deteriorate society, this complete free pass on science and facts because people want to use made up beliefs to hurt people.

1 Like

Uh, how exactly does it hurt “people” that a random person you don’t know believes that God created the world in 144 hours approximately 6,000 years ago but learned and is completely fine with the teaching of science in school?

1 Like

When that belief is used to justify a poltical agenda it can be used to “hurt” people that don’t subscribe to that agenda.

2 Likes

What if it’s not used to justify a political agenda?

Any belief that is fundamentally contrary to reality has a potential to harm the believer and those that interact or are influenced by the believer. For clarity I will note that a belief in God or even a belief in certain types of creationism are not necessarily contrary to reality.

3 Likes

I have no problem with people believing whatever they want, Unfortunately organized religion has become totally corrupted,

2 Likes

Ok, but I think you & Whiskey are assuming all people with a certain set of religious beliefs are of the same mind politically.

If you want to criticize the politics, fine, go right ahead. But it’s pretty bigoted and intolerant to criticize the religious beliefs IMO.

But Jesus being god is contrary to reality. He was just some regular human who was crucified and a chain letter gone viral made people belive he is god.

1 Like

I’m prettry sure that at least 95% of people that believe in the Rapture would be Trump supporters.

1 Like

Nope.

1 Like

:shakyhead:
If you want to play this game start a thread.

2 Likes

I think the criticism of the beliefs and the criticism of the politics are distinct. It’s the mixing of the two that makes it particularly troublesome imo. With the current makeup of the supreme court and the types of people in power in many areas of the country we are edging closer to a Christian theocracy. It’s frightening for us nonbelievers.

5 Likes

The payoff, right?

You posted this

and that was the payoff, calling people bigoted

Even when you accept the explanation.

That’s what that “Ok” means right, that you accept the explanation?

You could describe evangelicals as a wing of the republican party disguised as religion. These politicians run on Christian nationalism and pose in front of Christmas trees with guns, but it’s bigoted to criticize their religion. Let’s pretend the mixing wasn’t by design.

4 Likes

This is horseshit.
I will never be tolerant of ignorance, hate, intolerance and aggressively anti-science beliefs.

If people did not consistently shove their “protected religious beliefs” into my life, and then hiding behind the shield of religion to justify their hate, misogyny and villainy (see Pence, current SCOTUS, current anti-LGBTQ push and DeSantis).

Until then, I am going to continue using crazy anti-science fundy beliefs as an indicator of how dangerous someone is towards society.

1 Like