Political truths that are worth sharing but aren’t funny

No, not every public employee is a government bureaucrat to me. You sure do ask loaded questions. I will add that you forgot to mention “administrative and mid-level manager type of personnel” working for the school district, at the district level. Those positions are government bureaucrats, and a school district the size of Cobb County is probably infested with a multitude of people “adding value” (example: East Side Elementary School new logo).

Obvious racists logo
First Response: “Fucking Bureaucracy”

If you were to write this reaction into a story, people would not consdered your “small government libertarian” a believble character.

But on GoA, we exceed the lower bound on believability.

1 Like

New Trump campaign tee says America First, but Nazi symbol is front an (fastcompany.com)

Something that would never happen with private sector employees.

1 Like

Did you just “both sides” this conversation??

Yes, If both government bureaucrats and private sector employees are capable of the same ill conceived choices I don’t see the point of a rant against government bureaucrats as a class. We still don’t now who made the final choice. Might have been the superintendent (bureaucrat) or might have been the school board (non bureaucrats).

But there is a difference, a big difference. Private sector employees can easily be fired and/or the private sector entity can be boycotted or similar type of “shaming” behavior. Government bureaucrats are protected by public service unions and can’t be shunned, or boycotted, or not utilized due to their “monopoly”.

You needn’t buy/wear the Trump t-shirt if you find it offensive.
You’re stuck paying taxes to support government bureaucrats who make offensive school logos. If you choose to send your kids to public school, you’re stuck sending them to the local “indoctrination center”, or to a charter school if available. either way - we’re all stuck paying taxes for these “schools”.

lol. I know the GOP have been pushing to warp curriculums around the country, but calling schools indoctrination centers seems really extreme.

Private entities can also have unions, making it just as hard to fire or get rid of an employee. This isn’t unique to government roles. Further, government positions are easier for the public to influence than private sector positions. If a government agency does something we like, we can elect an entire new body that oversees the government agency. Then they can make any changes the public wants.

2 Likes

Why did you put quotes around the last word?

Sure, some people in private entities are unionized, but you seem to be purposely dancing around the point. YOU have the power to not utilize the private entity. Don’t buy the t-shirt if YOU find it offensive.
YOU don’t have that power with government bureaucrats. YOU’RE stuck paying taxes to support them.

I put it in quotes because many of those institutions aren’t much more than day-care centers (with my apologies to day-care centers where some actual learning does occur).

OK, the entire public school system is nothing but a day care system that tries to indoctinate students into left wing beliefs buy doing things like selecting school logos resembling fascist symbols. Do I have it correct.

2 Likes

Of course I’m aware of this. I’ve lived in red states my entire life. I’m used to giving the government money to use in ways I find objectionable. Doesn’t really change anything I said, though.

2 Likes

I was asking about this comment

we’re all stuck paying taxes for these “schools”.

There are 67,000 public elementary schools in the US. I’m sure some of them aren’t very good. Even 1% would be 670, which could be called “many”.

I think my local schools teach stuff. The district publishes standardized test scores and kids clearly advance. We are not all stuck paying for pretend schools. In fact, I’d guess that almost all schools do a decent job of teaching.

2 Likes

I think this is a really impoverished model of freedom.

Not the least because a lot of people don’t really have much freedom in the companies they use. And those that have enough money to make those choices could usually go to a different state or country if they really wanted to.

1 Like

My federal House Representative just voted against cross-state recognition of gay and interracial marriages. (The party affiliation is left as an exercise for the reader.)

2 Likes

I haven’t checked how my rep voted, but I don’t really have to. He’s the worst.

I know my Rep voted for it.

1 Like

I had to check. My Republican rep voted for the bill. “Respects settled law”. I’m in a fairly competitive district, the 2020 election margin was 2.6%

3 Likes

Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 8.09.43 AM

2 Likes

My rep abstained. At least he is not running for reelection. (Todd Hollingsworth if you’re wondering)