Political truths that are worth sharing but aren’t funny

3 Likes

No, they do not “produce emissions”. They produce fossil fuels. The people who produce emissions are the people who drive automobiles, use electricity produced by coal, etc.

To the extent that these companies are lobbying, making political contributions, owned directly by the politically powerful, etc. these companies are part of the problem.

But, they produce products that provide cheap energy that supports modern lifestyles. I can’t imagine that the primary route to reduced emissions is through these companies.

1 Like

So, corporations have no responsibility, I’m destroying the world if I use a plastic straw.

More apt: the corporation that made the plastic straw has no responsibility, but you are destroying the world for using it.

There’s an odd disconnect in the quote. The complaint is that these companies “produce emissions”, presumably CO2. I’m pretty sure that the bulk of those emissions come from fossil fuel used for energy.

The primary complaint about the plastic straw doesn’t seem to be any CO2 produced in making it. The problem is they end up as long lived plastics in the environment.

Fossil fuel providers primarily respond to demand. As long as we want to buy gasoline, jet fuel, diesel fuel, natural gas, electricity made from coal, electricity from natural gas … there will be some profit-seeking firm that will try to satisfy our wants. I specified in my post ways that these firms may try to increase demand (or resist efforts to reduce it). Other than those things, the consumers bare the “blame”.

1 Like

Equivalently: if you become a vegetarian, you can take credit for fewer animals being slaughtered.

5 Likes

Local school here introduces new logo

what the fuck

For comparative purposes.

1 Like

Too bad it wasn’t South Side Elementary.

2 Likes

…and to top it all off, East Side Elementary School is right across the street from Congregation Etz Chaim.

well done government bureaucrats, well done.

6 Likes

Do you catagorize members of the school board as government bureaucrats?

1 Like

stop a guy with a gun

3 Likes

Seems like we need to improve our public education when it comes to racism and bigotry… Too bad most schools are going the other direction.

2 Likes

I don’t want to have to homeschool my kid

2 Likes

I certainly categorize employees of the CCSD (Cobb County School District) as government bureaucrats. Do you not?

Superintendent of the district yes, members of the school board who get paid 20k a year, secretaries and teachers no. Is every public employee a government bureaucrat to you?

1 Like