Political Humor Thread

Trump appointed 234 judges. You are saying “most”. How did you reach that conclusion?

1 Like

I’m admittedly relying on others analysis and Federalist Society positions. But you question me on most and let Rastiln slide on hundreds out of your 234?

1 Like

I was trying to figure out why you bolded “most”. To me, it suggested that you’ve done careful research for individuals.

I’m okay with Rastiln assuming anyone approved by the Federalist Society is “partisan” and you replying that “in this case, ‘partisan’ means ‘originalist’, and I’m fine with that”. It was the bold most that made me wonder if there was more to the story.

2 Likes

Are you ok with Kentaji Brown Jackson’s originalism? Or the fact that Clarence Thomas ignored much of history and some of the first, and longest existing, laws related to gun control to establish his “originalist” interpretation in his ruling on NY gun control laws?

1 Like

I haven’t tried to get more info on something I heard regarding her point on the 14th amendment. That it was designed to protect black people, so it was written as protecting all people. While I agree that the context was post-civil war and the formerly enslaved were being discriminated against, I don’t think that the motivation for adding can be more important that what was actually written and ratified. By that I mean “equal” means “equal”, not “different because society isn’t fair”. What I heard was just a news bite, so there is probably more nuance, but that’s what I think so far.

If you think the Federalist Society is non-partisan then state so. If you think 234 judges is not hundreds then state so. If you think a partisan Society is even-handedly picking non-partisan judges then say so. Or, if you think that the Federalist Society did not have a heavy hand in selection of judges, say so.

I do claim that the Federalist Society is partisan, they had a heavy hand in picks, and their picks are partisan.

2 Likes

I don’t believe the Federalist Society is politically partisan.

They certainly do have an agenda picking judges. Which is to pick ones that support legal theories that follow the federalist structure in the Constitution. That legal theory does put a crimp in the way Democrats have been going about implementing their agenda. Since that has been through the regulatory state and courts rather than legislation. That is a result of methodologies rather than politics. I don’t believe the Federalist Society would have a problem with any particular program/law passed through the correct level legislature and implemented from that starting point.

But that discussion maybe doesn’t belong in Political Humor.

2 Likes

Recent news story from the NY Post:

FLORIDA MAN MAKES ANNOUNCEMENT

“With just 720 days to go before the next election, a Florida retiree made the surprise announcement on Tuesday evening that he was running for president,” the article said. “In a move no political pundit saw coming, avid golfer Donald J. Trump kicked things off at Mar-a-Lago, his resort and classified documents library.”

The article referred to his age — Mr. Trump will be 78 in 2024 — and continued: “His cholesterol levels are unknown, but his favorite food is a charred steak with ketchup. He has stated that his qualifications for office include being a ‘stable genius.’ Trump also served as the 45th president.”

I’ve never read the NYP. This may be typical of their style. But, I’ve heard they were big Trump promoters in the past.

1 Like

Rupert Murdoch now prefers Desantis.

2 Likes

To add to the slight by Murdoch, the serious story ran on page 26 or so? Pretty clear message to Trump.

Yep, multiple stories on that. I just thought this story was more fun, it read like something from the Onion.

1 Like

From their own website, pretty high up in the “about us” section:

"The Federalist Society for Law and Public Policy Studies is a group of conservatives and libertarians ". They state it again a little later in case someone missed it the first time. Also lots of mentions of supporting the restoration of “traditional values”

4 Likes

To be fair, “conservative” and “Republican” are not synonymous.

3 Likes

I’m sure the Venn Diagram has enough overlap that in the USA they are pretty darn close to overlapping circles.

1 Like

In 2022 I think there’s a lot of non-overlap, actually.

Somewhat, but calling them nonpartisan borders on silly.

1 Like

Maybe, but I think it’s fair to say that they are driven more by the ideology than the political party. Liz Cheney rather than Mitch McConnell, if you will.

Nah, all their own fluff about defending traditional values has nothing to do with their professed constitutional originalism. They like originalism unless it interferes with the cultural war agenda.

5 Likes

Originalism is a fancy word people use to hide their political hackery, bigotry and hate. Only complete idiots actually believe that there is any consistency or logic in that belief system.

5 Likes

+1.

In a way, this is potentially the first real test of Murdoch’s power.