Political Humor Thread

Oh, by all means, post whatever you want. And others will comment whatever they want. That’s how this thing works.

The problem with that “satire” piece is that there was no subtlety. Someone just said, “Here, this is obsurd, so therefore it must be funny. Print it!”

It reminds me of a sketch comedy show out of BYU called Studio C. The original cast was quite brilliant. They had all sorts of chemistry, good writing, it was very enjoyable. They had their off moments, sure, but overall the quality was pretty high.

Then that cast all left en masse. The whole thing had to be recreated with a new cast, and it just isn’t anywhere near as good. It seems like most of the time now they just come up with some outlandish scenario and then make it more and more extreme. That just isn’t funny beyond the first few steps. Like this one - where it turns out EVERYONE is an old southern lawyer. It was clever the first few, but quickly becomes formulaic.

Actually - formulaic isn’t a bad word for what that “satire” piece was.

That one’s better, but still not quite there.

The headline on the LeBron James one was a little funny / satirical. The rest of the article fell flat. Which honestly is a common (though by no means universal) problem with both right-leaning AND left-leaning satire.

The Delta one made no sense / wasn’t funny at all.

Especially since, in the last year anyway, I’d think people on flights would be disproportionately R since D have been more worried about catching COVID?

Most likely true, although I know plenty of exceptions.

1 Like

This is truly fascinating. Most of the posts in this thread are what passes as liberal political “humor” with varying degrees of actual humor. Someone posts it, and every so often it might elicit a comment or two. I make an atypical post of conservative political humor and multiple posters jump in and make multiple posts about how unfunny it is.

I must have touched a raw nerve.

:eyeroll:

Yes we’re all in our buckets with specially assigned humor glasses

Possibly. I will admit that I was being somewhat hyperbolic about conservatives being funny. BabylonBee does a decent job. And, looking at the “Glorious American” site, you probably just picked the single least funny article they have there. There isn’t much there that I would call “good”, but most aren’t as unfunny as the Delta one.

1 Like

I agree, it isn’t the same. My kids love this show, and more often then not they will choose to rewatch old sketches rather than the new ones just coming out.

Although, I did really like this sketch they showed me. Probably my favorite so far from the new cast.

Yeah, they get it right sometimes. We still watch (on DVR, usually several weeks late). I just don’t particularly enjoy it now. I quite like going back and watching old ones. I tend to post a lot of them here when they are on topic.

What soyleche said.

Babylon Bee is a good source of conservative political humor. But even they vary in how funny they are.

BTW, despite voting for Biden I still consider myself somewhat politically conservative. But the Delta story was just dumb.

Here’s one from Babylon Bee that would be :rofl: if it wasn’t so :cry:.

1 Like

Jeez, all the chatter made me read the Delta thing.

“Liberals are stupid and scared and intolerant and poor”.

Is this considered “right wing comedy?”
The creators of the content are claiming it is:

1 Like

Sounds like SNL.

1 Like

Unfortunately it’s often difficult to know whether statements are meant to be satire or serious.
Latest example comes from Tucker Carlson:

He’s straight-up lying, too. Saying “Tony” Fauci doesn’t say masks are necessary, which is an intentional twisting of his real words (does anybody call him Tony? Is that just a Fox News thing to trivialize him? First I’ve heard that.)

Then the aside I haven’t heard much chatter over, how he just mentions a “poll” found that most white liberals are mentally ill, which doesn’t tie into anything, except to poison the minds of viewers by setting the stage for “liberal = mask = mentally ill = bad”. That man is just infuriating.

3 Likes

I’m a conservative and I think Tucker Carlson is an a**hat that gives us a bad name. I take him about as seriously as Racheal Maddow, The View, or Tommy Chong. But this is a political humor thread. Chill a little. Have some fun.

Reasonable, I shouldn’t spoil the thread. Tucker just annoys me, since around 75% of my family accepts the spoon-feeding and it becomes obvious around holidays and such.

Yeah, it is always disturbing when someone (anyone) makes a weirdly deeply unfunny joke that suggests that they live in another world. Not a big deal, but it always makes you wonder, even if it’s just “grand-dad being grand-dad”.

FWIW, here’s an old Obama dig that I vaguely remember enjoying.