Political Humor Thread

Sorry that one’s not really okay. Like the man or not (and I didn’t particularly) you couldn’t really argue that he had faith. That cannot be said about a lot of other “religious” figures on TV.

Seriously? He basically started a Christian television show that reaches 360 million people around the world, and hosted it for decades. He helped shape the Religious Right and push Christians into the political arena. And you don’t think he would be considered one of the faces of modern Christianity?

I don’t think too many folks question that Pat Robertson had faith.

The concern is the extent to which practice and expression of his faith might have manifested as more evil than good.

I don’t think he was as bad as some televangelists, but I still find the comic amusing.

1 Like

I interpreted it as a version of the classic “Be quiet as we go by this room. It’s the Southern Baptists’ room. They don’t think anyone else is here”. Because obviously he’ll be told whether he gets into heaven and why. YMMV.

2 Likes

RN:

A man arrives at the gates of heaven. St. Peter asks, “Religion?”

The man says, “Methodist.”

St. Peter looks down his list and says, “Go to Room 24, but be very quiet as you pass Room 8.”

Another man arrives at the gates of heaven. “Religion?”

“Lutheran.”

“Go to Room 18, but be very quiet as you pass Room 8.”

A third man arrives at the gates. “Religion?”

“Presbyterian.”

“Go to Room 11, but be very quiet as you pass Room 8.”

The man says, “I can understand there being different rooms for different denominations, but why must I be quiet when I pass Room 8?”

St. Peter tells him, “Well, the Baptists are in Room 8, and they think they’re the only ones here.”

1 Like

And yeah, I took the comic broadly as:
He had faith, but his faith was wrong.

I don’t think Christianity really addresses the idea of “wrong faith” very well. Lots of homilies feature “what Jesus actually meant”, but they don’t really say what happens to you if you vastly misinterpret the Bible.

1 Like

I’ve heard this but the punch line is on Catholics (which I think makes more sense?)

True. Though a lot of baptists would insist that Catholics won’t go to heaven.

Anyway, you could make that same joke about most religions, and most sects of most religions.

Every church, temple, mosque, synagogue, and shrine in the world is loaded with people that think God is talking to them and only them. And that the next mosque over is full of people going to hell because they got it all wrong.

But if you think about the joke tooooo much, it stops being funny and you become an atheist. :confused:

3 Likes

IATP

1 Like

Which room are they in?
The soundproof one, because they are making way too much noise and having way too much fun, and they don’t even believe they are here.

1 Like

I’ll give you a hint. One denomination publishes a “census” of sorts quantifying the lost, counting folks of other denominations/religions as lost. Perhaps they mean this as a encouragement for evangelization.
The other had a formal papal condemnation of the misinterpretation of “extra Ecclesia nulla salus” that was running around the NE US in the 1940’s/1950’s. And it was issued in 1953 (pre-Vatican II).
So at least for recent history, one punch line makes a bit more sense.

Are they having fun? I don’t think they’re having fun.

They do get to eat shellfish and have gay sex though, if they want to. But I don’t want to.

They are having fun tonight.
They are Wang Chunging tonight.

2 Likes

Anti-sematic, homophobe who ripped off people for millions of dollars - Burn In Hell

2 Likes

why didn’t God put the Baptists at the end of the hall?

Then they’d be passing all the other folks who were not supposed to be there.
C’mon, think, man!!

3 Likes

Sense of humor.

It was Mormon when i was growing up LDS.

Yeah, definitely missed the AO BIH thread when his long overdue death was announced.

Robertson did my harm than good during his lifetime and the world is a better place without him breathing.
It would have been for humanity if it would have happened during his birth.

He definitely belongs on the list with Jerry Falwell, Mary Teresa Bojaxhiu, Brigham Young, Sun Myung Moon, and many others.