Police/correctional officers behaving badly

A cop saw a black man running near the scene of a crime and hit the running man intentionally with his car to stop him.
Turns out it was another police officer responding to the incident.

https://twitter.com/AutumnTweets/status/1714741878451741153?t=bAl8-uRDpsmRUbPozV_ufQ&s=19

1 Like

Wow. That driver needs their eyes tested.

1 Like

I am mostly joking with my assessment.

But it really looks like the one cop intentionally hit the other cop.

Running over black folks is in their subconscious, perhaps.

1 Like

Lol, I was assuming this was “just turned a corner at dusk” or something.

This is blatant enough I wouldn’t be surprised to learn they had personal beef. In all likelihood it’s just incompetence and eagerness for violence, but holy shit was that stupid.

1 Like

… and this should be treated as reckless driving.

Legal Eagle covers the shit show in Kansas. @vjvj may be interested.

2 Likes

Saw this recently, I didn’t realize the sheriff took something like a 60% pay cut to leave the job where he was accused of inappropriate sexual comments to women. (Which of course he didn’t do, as you can tell by how angry he is about being questioned.)

I knew he changed jobs shortly after the accusations but my recollection was it was a “promotion”, didn’t realize how dramatically he must have wanted out of that job.

A twitter thread about the first ever NYC police killing captured on body camera and associated shenanigans. Worth a read IMO

https://twitter.com/ericuman/status/1735297186886246783?t=f54ItcZQli66RHPdknIJTA&s=19

2 Likes

Do you mean first shooting? Because I watched Eric Garner die while NYPD kneeled on his neck.

Or is it “first police killing” because Garner wasn’t pronounced dead, but instead was left possibly still alive, possibly dead on the pavement for seven more minutes?

Edit: Oh, first on POLICE BODY CAMERAS. I’m dumb. Not first captured on camera.

2 Likes

Edited for clarity

1 Like

The police claim that the officer driving overcorrected when he "believed he was traveling too close to a parked car”. However, on-scene the officer said he swerved to miss a dog, which afterward hasn’t been claimed again. Oddly, the dog disappeared after the club owners said they had recordings of the crash.

The police claim that the owner of the club pushed the officer in the chest. The owner was recording the crash/arrest of his partner. Piecing together various claims, it seems most likely that his arm brushed against the officer, who was embarrassed for crashing and claimed it was assault.

One of those arrested is being held without bail, because the judge denies bail in about 75% of cases.

Police have refused to state if the crashing officer was tested for a DUI.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/javadesq/status/1737152152991051783

great video of the police car hitting the bar

Will be interesting to see the owners video.

https://www.riverfronttimes.com/news/st-louis-police-suv-that-hit-bar-pm-ran-a-red-light-moments-earlier-41489947#:~:text=The%20incident%20led%20to%20criminal%20charges%20against%20the%20LGBTQ%20bar’s%20co-owner&text=This%20image%20of%20a%20St,Bar%3APM%20early%20Sunday%20morning.

It worsens. At the time of the alleged “assault” on the police officer, a bystander recorded a 22-minute video showing no such assault.

The police officer ran a red light immediately before crashing into the bar.

The officer was never tested for a DUI.

After claiming that he swerved due to a dog, then due to traveling close to a parked car, the officer now “admits to getting distracted while attempting to change his in-car radio”.

We let these people carry laptops in their vehicle that they look at while driving and they can’t navigate a radio?

Let’s be honest. Safe money is that this was a DUI situation. I’ve never been so distracted by a radio that I ran a red and crashed.

4 Likes

…into a building, destroying it!!! This is not just a fender bender.

3 Likes

In a past life, I supported a business unit that specialized in insuring towns, counties, etc… including those customers’ police departments.

One of the standard risk management items that was regularly communicated to customers was that they really should staff two officers per patrol vehicle in part because of the problem of distractions from the computers, radios, etc.

We paid out more than a few claims caused by police officers’ (and firefighters’, and EMTs’, and…) distracted driving.

2 Likes

I guess this could also go in the WTF news thread but here seemed relevant.

2 Likes

This is exactly what i expect from law enforcement.

1 Like

And from rich people.

1 Like