Police/correctional officers behaving badly

did the old lady come back to life yet?

2 Likes

As soon as she hears this news she will.

The city is silent on the issue. Perhaps because their lawyers have told them to STFU.

The town’s got exactly one person that sees a problem with what they did? That’s f’ed up.

1 Like

The newspaper now claims police copied contents from the seized computer. Which still may be in the possession of law enforcement.

I hope the ACLU steps in and hammers them hard, this is some bullshit if it’s true.

https://lawrencekstimes.com/2023/08/24/marion-pd-kept-copy-evidence/

Probably several that see a problem, but one that wanted to publicly paint a target on his back.

Publicly criticizing the police with your name attached is a GREAT way to be hassled.

Judge ruled that authorities must destroy any data obtained during the search. The police didn’t object but the judge wanted it on the record.

This is a federal prosecutor behaving badly, which I thought was close enough for this thread

Seattle PD doing 74mph in a 25mph zone, sirens not on, hits and kills a grad student. Another officer is recorded on his body cam laughing at the situation.

Geez

1 Like

Police departments are protesting a recent law in Minnesota and have pulled all School Resource Officers (SRO). The following is a summary of yhe law in question:

That update prohibits SROs and school staff from “using prone restraint and comprehensive restraint on the head, neck and across most of the torso,” but Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison has said the law still allows for “reasonable force” to prevent injuries or death.

It is just right vs left political issue in the state, where the cops are refusing to do their job unless they have no restrictions wrt choking children.

1 Like

that’s my take on it.

the scream of “the law is making the schools less safe” ignores who abandoned the schools. they can use those restraints when they believe there is threat to life or imminent physical harm.

our district had its SRO contract get to the expiration date. couldn’t agree on terms for the renewal. since then, response and support from the PD has been at times frustrating.

1 Like

SROs are, on average, detrimental to schools anyway. Especially when compared to something like a trained counselor. So I’m okay with them fucking off if they’re not allowed to choke children.

4 Likes

the data i read recently was lower incidence (20%) on violent events at school (fights). HUGE increase in suspensions, expulsion hearings, and students introduced to the crim justice system.

(the increased part is what people mean when they say “school to prison pipeline”)

anecdotally, every incident you counsel the SRO on at school, the response is they’d rather see charges brought so the system is aware of the person.

1 Like

Another update on the situation here in Kansas. The police chief who raided the newspaper has been suspended. I really didn’t have a ton of faith that anything would happen to anyone but it looks like justice may be served here.

2 Likes

We’ll see if something actually happens. Wasn’t that the same chief who was about to be fired for sexual misconduct in a nearby town/county before being transferred into a promotion? I’ll be curious to see if he fails up somewhere else.

Update! The police chief has resigned. May likely wind up working elsewhere as a cop.

3 Likes