Opening schools increase the spread of COVID-19 ~24%

I haven’t seen many grades (her latest one’s didn’t sound great) but she’s also in the advanced program and presumably had better grades/habits pre-COVID. I’m pretty worried the poor habits she learned during quarantine are here to stay (and her parents aren’t really noticing and/or going to do anything about it on time). For example, this past weekend 10 was suddenly very interested in having me read out loud to her before bed (and in the last 20 minutes before she had to leave). I’m sure my husband was glowing in pride the entire time… except after she left, I had to tell him that, no, his daughter wasn’t back into reading again, she just um… lied to her teacher on Friday that she was on page 80-something in her book, when in reality she was on page 37.

I don’t think the testing of the waters on what she can and cannot get away with in terms of schoolwork is over by any means - I imagine it’s only going to get worse as she hits the teens.

Also not contributing to positive school behaviors:

• 10 has the idea in her head that she is smarter than all the other kids (may be true, but irrelevant), that the material she’s learning is beneath her, and I learned just this weekend that she “reads twice as fast as the other students” (which may have been more believable if she had read past page 37)
  • “Nothing she learns in school will be used in real life” (not something she got from this household, I’m assuming disgruntled former elementary school teacher mom is the source of this gem)
  • Uses the ADHD diagnosis that she doesn’t have to absolve herself from actually doing solid work (the inability to concentrate or focus is not her problem, I’ve seen her “focus” on video games for hours on end)

I guess COVID might be the least of our problems.

# Feds announce civil rights probe into Utah, other states’ bans on school mask mandate

SALT LAKE CITY — The U.S. Department of Education announced Monday it has opened an investigation in Utah and four other states looking into whether their bans on indoor masking “discriminate” against students with disabilities, who are at increased risk for severe illness due to the coronavirus.

“The department has heard from parents from across the country — particularly parents of students with disabilities and with underlying medical conditions — about how state bans on universal indoor masking are putting their children at risk and preventing them from accessing in-person learning equally,” U.S. Secretary of Education Miguel Cardona said in a statement.

“It’s simply unacceptable that state leaders are putting politics over the health and education of the students they took an oath to serve. The department will fight to protect every student’s right to access in-person learning safely and the rights of local educators to put in place policies that allow all students to return to the classroom full-time in-person safely this fall,” he added.

4 Likes

Is Bio Mom pro-vax?

If so, you could try enrolling her in a clinical trial. She may end up with the placebo, but there’s a chance she’d get an actual vaccine.

That’s a thought I hadn’t thought of - yeah mom is pro-vax and reportedly immunocompromised*, so probably even more motivated to get the kid vaxed ASAP.

*Up for debate as she’s a hypochondriac and has no history of such condition.

Our son has diagnosed ADHD and has no issues hyperfocusing on video games. Just saying. That alone isn’t an indication that she doesn’t have it.

The doctor who diagnosed him said it’s not uncommon for kids with ADHD to hyperfocus on things they find enjoyable while being completely unable to focus on the things they don’t, and that doesn’t mean they’re making anything up, it’s just how their brains work.

Homeschooling sucks. That is all I have to contribute right now. :rofl:

5 Likes

Are you actually homeschooling - like pulled your kid(s) from the public schools - or just “remote schooling?” There’s a big difference.

1 Like

You should mansplan it further to snoo, because i doubt she understands all the nuances that you want to judge her on.

2 Likes

That’s an interesting misconstruance of Utah’s (and the other states’) laws by this article’s author, Mr Contact.

Unfortunately there were no doctors involved in 10’s diagnosis, but she’s been told that she has it. It’s hard to navigate around the topic when she brings it up.

I was not judging snoo at all, but I’ve seen a ton of people misuse the word “homeschool” over the last year, was just seeking clarification.

But thanks to your ad feminam attack, I went back & re-read some of snoo’s posts in this thread & was reminded that she has been homeschooling since last school year so thanks for that, I guess. (I don’t always remember personal details about specific posters or who has posted what; it’s a personal failing I admit).

@snoo : I’m sorry if that post came across as “judgey.” Homeschooling can be hard & it can indeed suck sometimes. Other times, it’s totally worth it, ime (ymmv), and it’s helpful sometimes to step back & remember why you’re doing it. You are the best educator & advocate your kids could possibly have, & the ability to tailor curriculum & instruction to your kids’ specific abilities & learning styles is invaluable, imo.

@Whiskey : I’ll ask this once: please stop deliberately misgendering me.

2 Likes

Can’t a woman girl “mansplain”?

Not that I thought Marcie’s post was an example of it, just, in general. I actually read Marcie’s post as a sincere question, about something that can be a little fuzzy in the age of remote schooling.

3 Likes

In Marcie’s defense, I gotta say that I’ve seen this too.

There’s a lot of different ways kids can be in school at home: the local school’s virtual option, the local school having certain virtual days, a different designated school that is 100% virtual, or true home schooling. I think during his high school experience my nephew did all four at various points, as well as in-person school. They’re all different, with different pluses and minuses.

Sounds like snoo did not misuse the word though.

1 Like

I’m not even sure it’s a misuse. When a friend started home schooling (well, really, his wife did most of the schooling) he described the stuff she was doing, and despite having enrolled our kids in the local elementary school, we did all those things, too. By high school, what they did and what we did were completely different. But in the early grades I suppose our kids had both home and municipal schooling.

Springfield, IL:

Surely this rural downstate district must be flouting the governor’s mask mandate, right?

Oh.

I have no idea how it is in that particular district/schools - but I’ve been in schools with “mask mandates” where it was odd to see even half of the students actually wearing masks in the halls.

Duke University to suspend in-person classes for 2 weeks & mask harder after mass screening testing their healthy student body revealed a few hundred positive tests, a few with the sniffles:

First week of school, they brought it in from the summer break right?

Homeschooling:
-Parent chooses the curriculum
-There is no school-employed teacher

If that’s what your experience was sending your children to in-person school then :flushed:

If that was not your neighbor’s experience then I don’t think your neighbor was truly homeschooling.

1 Like