Opening schools increase the spread of COVID-19 ~24%

I thought that this was referred to as a case study not a scientific study. But I could be wrong.

And the reason they don’t do RCT’s is because this disease can be deadly and there is no current treatment. There was discussion about when they were doing the testing for the vaccine about (don’t recall what it was actually called) exposing those who had been vaccinated to the virus to see what happened. But with the situation that is not an ethical thing to do.

1 Like

Agree, but Marcie doesn’t seem to buy anything short of that. I was being sarcastic when I’d asked about a RCT but then Marcie went with it. So now I’m curious what she’d devise.

I suppose since her narrative is that COVID is no big deal for kids, perhaps she wouldn’t find it unethical to stick infected teachers in with assorted groups of masked/unmasked and vaccinated/unvaccinated kids at different spacings and ventilation.

This as I read a post of a friend who has a business that cleans planes. Lately, they have been tasked often with cleaning and disinfecting planes that have been used to transport COVID patients. He posted about cleaning a plane that was used to return a 10 yo from FL who is on a ventilator and not expected to make it. Her family went on vacation to FL just before school was going to start. Her parents were unvaccinated and came down with COVID once they got to FL. They quarantined there but 2 of their 3 kids came down with COVID and the 10 YO ended up in the hospital on the ventilator and is not expected to survive. No I don’t know if the kid had any special risk factors but I do keep hearing of people without many or sometimes any comorbidities dying. So it is scary what can happen. I wouldn’t suggest anyone young, old firm or infirm purposely be exposed to the virus.

3 Likes

That’s horrible. Anecdotal chatter is that very few people are coming off ventilators with this wave.

1 Like

Here’s an anecdote from May, infections of kids (can’t be vaccinated) by an infected teacher (unvaccinated), who decided to read aloud while unmasked (and having symptoms!!) to her students.

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2021-08-30/unvaccinated-teacher-infected-half-of-students-in-classroom-cdc-study

You’ve been long ninja’d.

2 Likes

damn!

pc=pc+2 though amirite?

Maybe if we keep posting it, then it can be called “data”?

big data imo

We need to leverage a deep dive to follow the science to synergy.

Also AI and machine learning in there.

1 Like

BINGO!!

2 Likes

I’ll add to the anecdotal chatter with some insider information. A major children’s hospital in a large midwestern city has begun a triage program using volunteer doctors from other areas of the hospital to assist the emergency department (ED) with their case load so they aren’t forced to send children to other hospitals. ED has been experiencing higher than normal case load for awhile but once they had a spike that came within 10 cases of maximum (approx. 250) they began the triage program. In person instruction in the local schools started 2 to 3 weeks prior to the spike.

Reminds me of this.

The guy is an ophthalmologist. There were giggles over the praying emergency medicine doctor (wearing the bicycle helmet). He has a whole series of videos so his followers recognize the different characters he plays.

3 Likes

Unvaccinated 10 year old’s elementary school reported a COVID cluster August 20th. I believe she was tracked out during that time, so the silver lining is that it was a different group of kids at the same school.

There’s no good options for us right now - there’s no remote options available and homeschooling would be the nuclear option. It’s pretty scary having to just send her in and cross our fingers that she’s one of the lucky ones that doesn’t catch it.

1 Like

You don’t have Connections Academy in your state?

His video where he thanks the gods that he ended up in opthalmology is hilarious!!!

And big hugs for JFGW for all she does!!!

1 Like

Also relevant, this kid just started at this school and was horrendous at keeping up with her remote learning. Kid actually having friends for once is almost enough incentive to take the risk.

I don’t remember how many schools she’s been to already, but at least 3 different ones and has moved homes at least 7 times.

Yeah, keeping up with schoolwork was the worst for my online school kid, but no worse than in person school. We were so happy she finished that I never even checked her final grades. It was pre-Covid and she had horses (and barn friends) for that end of things.