OJ Simpson dead at 76

His legacy is the impact he left on the world. It’s not a character judgement on him. My thoughts on that belong in the other thread.

1 Like

Well especially after reading about the hush money at USC, I think it’s pretty safe to say that on balance the world is worse off because of the things that he did.

He assaulted two women and covered it up and killed a third and her driver and got away with it. That’s pretty awful.

you read it?

Not the whole thing. But I read the title and some excerpts that they showed on TV. That was enough to convince me.

whose driver?

and is there a report of the USC NDA that isn’t 4th person?

not saying he was a good person or didn’t do what he was accused of, but sorry, wasn’t convicted of murder and a person told a story by a third party. of an incident that occurred 30 years before that?

and who signs an NDA for something you already know? without compensation.
she signed the NDA for the lawyers presence, not the story, her boss viotated his NDA.
She supposedly new nothing of Simpson in her NDA, so if the lawyers are alive she violated hers

the whole story siunds like BS. have the girls come forward?

Oh, I dunno, whatever Ron Goldman’s relationship to Nicole Brown Simpson was. It’s been 30 years… I’ve forgotten some of the details … inconceivable as that seemed given the news media coverage at the time.

As far as the girl’s story, yes, my statement is assuming it’s true. I think it’s safe to assume that everyone was paid off, including the victims. At that point OJ had plenty of money, so he could easily afford to do this.

We’ll see if they come forward but if they don’t it doesn’t mean much. If I’d been assaulted by OJ Simpson and paid off I don’t think I’d want to come forward and risk the vitriol and harassment from his remaining fans and relive everything and be called a liar and put my daughter through all of that publicity.

Presumably the identity of the real killer will be clearer from the afterlife.

2 Likes

This popped up on X today:
https://twitter.com/mouvement33/status/1778566905881829792
Someone reporting who’s NDA expired upon OJ’s death. Harkens back to his days at USC.

1 Like

So, how much was SHE paid to sign the NDA? Just wondering mostly, as I don’t think I’d sign one without so money shoved into my mouth that I could not speak for…ever.
She should also know some lawyers do have ethics. She could have been one of them, but she opted out.

1 Like

Wow

I have a far bigger problem with USC accepting hush money than a student there on work-study.

I was about to ask whether OJ’s casket will be transported in a white Bronco when i found this.

2 Likes

But i understand why the university WANTED to cover it up. Why did she? It obviously hurt her to cover it up. I, also, wonder how they got her to sign the NDA.

Uh, I think it’s pretty obvious that she was paid off. If you’re a 19 year-old with very little money (work-study is need-based) and someone offers you 6 figures (maybe more?) to STFU then I think it would be awfully difficult to say “no” to that.

There’s no other conceivable reason she would have signed the NDA. But that’s pretty understandable IMO.

The school had something to gain, sure. But they’re supposed to be better than that IMO. They’re complicit in Nicole Brown Simpson’s death and the assaults of any other women OJ Simpson may have hurt after that.

Yes, I’m holding an accredited university to a higher standard than an underprivileged 19 year old girl. Absolutely.

I wonder if she was pressured to do so. Sign this or we will throw you out. Her story says, “he told me, you need to sign an NDA.” I wonder if she was tricked into signing it. She was so upset she left law. How much money does it take to make you feel dirty and change your life goals?

I also wonder a little if she’s making it up. But if it’s true, a lot of other people knew, and some of them are probably still alive. The two assaulted students are probably still alive, for instance. So maybe we’ll hear more about it.

Yeah, I mean if she didn’t take hush money then I would think she could have gotten it thrown out. In business NDAs are difficult to enforce. If she received a pile of money then it’s a lot more enforceable I would think.

What constitutes “a pile of money” to a 19 year old on work-study might be pretty low, but if she was studying to be a lawyer at the time they’d have to take into account the possibility of her becoming fairly wealthy and not caring about giving up the money down the road, which is why I’m guessing it was a lot.

Also a lot easier to switch from law to philosophy if you’ve just been handed a pile of cash.

Huh, some stuff is out of order in the new thread. I know it happens when stuff is being moved.

There’s a newer version of discourse that allows you to put the posts in order, but this one doesn’t. All the RIP posts are before all the BIH posts. I added a staff notice to try to help navigate the thread.

Honestly, a person has a moral compass. A corporation doesn’t. There are people at that university who were morally culpable. It was people who made the decision and carried it out and got something for it. That’s where the blame lies. And with OJ himself, of course.

1 Like

Ironically, I’m headed to watch the play “Radium Girls” today. It’s all about the U.S. Radium Corporation settling with the women who they required to lick the radium brushes while painting watch dials, and consequently getting fatal radiation poisoning.

While the company eventually settled out of court to cover the medical costs of the women for their remaining life, they first attempted to pay them off. “Poor. Not well-educated. Medical bills. A few hundred dollars could make a big difference to a girl like that. Call it… a humanitarian gesture. A kindness.”

2 Likes