News that makes you say WTF?!?!

Oh, I’ve seen far uglier

1 Like

Have you seen it in person? It’s uglier in person than the pictures.

And certainly buildings that are poorly maintained are uglier… I think there’s an “as designed” implication in the ranking.

Apparently in 2009 Travel & Leisure Building rated the Portland Building the ugliest not just in the United States but in the entire world. I’ve seen other lists where it doesn’t make the top 10 though.

Graves also designed the Denver Art Museum which sometimes pops up on ugliest buildings rankings.

Well, you can ask @colonelsmoothie about the experience of getting in-person commentary about some of the ugliest buildings in Manhattan

To be sure, there are many beautiful buildings in Manhattan, so it does work out (and ugly buildings do get demolished from time to time)

Who could think this would be constitutional?

It isn’t. It’ll never pass. Probably won’t even pass whatever committees there are (or make it into them).

If it does somehow pass, it will be struck down in the courts practically immediately.

Exactly, which is why I can’t even imagine a legislator ordering the drafting of a bill like that. Don’t know that I would ever even consider voting for a rep who would do that. There are a lot of other things where the lines are a little grayer.

Discussed in the repubs thread. They write this, pass this, gov signs. Then make suers pay to grt it repealed, then get donations from the anti-Americans who prefer an America without the first anendment.
Rinse. Repeat.

Not about actually legislating to form a more perfect Union, etc. Fuck that.

A 5th grade girls basketball team in Alabama was told they could not continue to use their gym unless they joined the rec league there, which was a boys league. They joined amd won the league. They were then denied the championship trophy because they are girls, and the trophy went to the second place team

1 Like

This is my city. I don’t belong to the rec, but have had dealings with some of the employees, all uniformly positive. I have no idea what the back story is, but I have emailed the council members i know best and will expect this to be covered at the city council meeting Monday.

4 Likes

An update on the Deadspin story.

“I’ve coached both boys and girls in Hoover for years and can assure everybody that they don’t discriminate against girls.

This policy has been in place for years. Hats off to this team for winning the championship. It is unfortunate they couldn’t get the trophy but it sounds like Hoover is going to make it right by honoring the girls. The same thing happened to a boys team.

Since Hoover has limited gym space and high demand for practice facilities it makes it extremely difficult to accommodate everyone. Hoovers’ policy has always been that if you want to use a Hoover gym for OTM practice then you must participate in the rec league. Most coaches want to keep their OTM team together and play them in the rec league. Since this would be an unfair advantage because most of the OTM teams are comprised of the best players, they are required to play “up” by two grade levels. In this case, the girls are in 5th grade and there is no 7th grade girls rec league so they had to play against the 5th grade boys.

In the past and I’m sure here too, the league tells the coaches well in advance that you can sit out the tournament or you can play but you will not get a trophy. In the 15 plus years I have coached, I’ve never seen a team win it all playing up, so congratulations to these girls and the coaches for winning the championship. Trophy or no trophy, they are the champions.”

1 Like

A follow up article

Basic answer is team is a “competitive” team vs a rec team. If you aren’t familiar with those terms, “competitive” teams are often AAU teams that play throughout the year. Rec teams are more seasonal, less serious teams generally take all comers. Teams are always looking for gym time, and the Rec allows teams to practice as long as they join the rec league. However to try to keep the competitive balance, the competetive teams play up, and aren’t eligible for championship honors, even if they win. Team and coach knew this in advance, even if one mom didn’t realize it. The rule has been enforced on boys teams in the past. I thought i read an article that had a lengthy quote from the coach of the girls team in question, but can’t find it right now.

Eta - “OTM” in the quote above means “over the mountain”, which is a local geographic term that is essentially the municipalities south of downtown Birmingham, but not cities in the same valley as BHM. As i understand it, the AAU teams in this area organize schedules together when they aren’t playing tournaments. One of my kids played middle school bb, which is more competitive than rec, but less than AAU. Kids in AAU play year round, and there are limits on hs players playing aau with their hs coaches.

City manager said he kinda regrets the policy letting the AAU teams in the rec league, lamenting “no good deed …”

Another updated article
This also explains why I saw a young girl in a Spain Park uniform outside the building last night, but not inside the building for a formal presentation during the meeting.

Supports a trope at least as common as sexism, sports parent not knowing rules and getting pissed off on social media :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

This seems untrue, but it’s a much better story, and easier to report, cuz no second source and follow-up needed.

Home inspector finds 8 foot alligator in the attic of a house in NC

1 Like

Its not unusual for crappy tabloids (mirror, sun, nyp, etc.)-- to recycle the most click-worthy headlines.

Most readers dont actually care about the date anyway. Welcome to the new media.

1 Like

Why is this in the WTF thread? My kids all took lunchables to school at various times. Heck one of them I think was taking them twice a week at one point.

Because of how farcical it is. Everyone knows they are really bad for you but the people involved in the story are saying how awesome it is. Somebody obviously received a kickback for this.