New Music Game

bump for last vote of the season!

Vote early, vote often!

1 Like

The final vote here really surprised me! It’s a good song, but it was probably #8 or so on my list of all the songs submitted.

1 Like

No love for Dramarama. Spirit in the Sky is ubiquitous and a true 1 hit wonder but I’m not a huge fan myself. I mean the song is good, I just don’t think of it as great. Just my opinion.

I’ve been humming Pilot of the Airwaves for days now.

My favorite song on the list besides the one I submitted is probably One Headlight, I just didn’t view them as a true one hit wonder as 6th Avenue Heartache seems at least as big a hit for them.

And I tried a couple of times to make it through I Believe in a Thing Called Love - just couldn’t do it.

For me, all the songs I liked I already knew of, and was a choice between: Spirit in the Sky, One Headlight, Anything Anything, I Believe in a Thing Called Love.

Had to eliminate One Headlight right away because there are like 3 or 4 songs by the Wallflowers that I like. (I’m a hypocrite because I posted the Mighty Mighty Bosstones and I know more than one song by them)

Then eliminated The Darkness because I’m pretty sure I’ve heard some other song of theirs at some point and I know I haven’t from Greenbaum and Dramarama.

Both “Anything” and “Spirit” are regular players in my daily playlist, it was a hard choice, but I went with Spirit in the Sky at the end of the day because I’ve known it longer and every seems to know it and like it. I dunno

Surprised that “Play That Funky Music” got nothing, but maybe they had more popular songs and I’m just too young. Not saying this to be salty, I’m suspecting my music taste really doesn’t jive with the others here. Still want to participate though, I’ve found a few things I like.

That was a 1 hit wonder for sure. I’m just not a big fan. And I’m old enough to vaugely remember when it came out.

To be sure, I think the best song for this category would’ve been “That Thing You Do” by that band . . . the . . . O-need-R’s? . . . or something like that . . .

Here was my list of all 1980’s OHWs that I considered. I would have voted for any of them.

Devo “Whip It”
The Vapors “Turning Japanese”
Tommy Tutone “867-5309/Jenny”
Soft Cell “Tainted Love”
Quarterflash “Harden My Heart”
Thomas Dolby “She Blinded Me with Science”
Modern English “I Melt with You”
Bow Wow Wow “I Want Candy”
Men Without Hats “The Safety Dance”
A Flock of Seagulls "I Ran
The Weather Girls “It’s Raining Men”
Frankie Goes to Hollywood “Relax”
Kajagoogoo “Too Shy”
Matthew Wilder “Break My Stride”
Twisted Sister “We’re Not Gonna Take It”
Scandal “The Warrior”
Rockwell “Somebody’s Watching Me”
Animotion “Obsession”
Dead or Alive “You Spin Me Round
Autograph “Turn Up the Radio”
'Til Tuesday “Voices Carry”
Harold Faltermeyer “Axel F”
The Georgia Satellites “Keep Your Hands to Yourself”
The Fabulous Thunderbirds “Tuff Enuff”
Timbuk 3 “The Future’s So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades”
Cutting Crew " I Just Died in Your Arms”
The Outfield “Your Love”
Oran “Juice” Jones “The Rain”
Grateful Dead “Touch of Grey”
Vixen “Edge of a Broken Heart”
Jeff Healey “Angel Eyes”
Alannah Myles “Black Velvet”
Simple Minds “Don’t You”

LOL I considered submitting both of these as well.

Though with Quarterflash they had 2 other chart hits in Find Another Fool and Take Another Picture as well as a few lesser known but recognizable songs to me.

I strongly considered that one of it makes you feel any better

Yeah, I started with the list of OHW I found on wikipedia. It says that it defines a one-hit wonder as “an act that has won a position on Billboard 's national, pop, Top 40 just once.”

I loved that first Quarterflash album. Maybe they don’t actually qualify by virtue of “Find Another Fool”

I should have added “Take Off” by Bob & Doug McKenzie. Like the Rockwell song, it an ok song made much better by a great backup singer.

I too was a big fan of that one. The followup album was a bit of a letdown. Saw them play an ameusment park one night. Put on a great show and it was a night when the dude singer wasn’t there so it was all Rindy Ross on vocals that night.

Congrats to @AbstractActuary on the win this week. 7 points
@DeepPurple in 2nd with 5 points
@Vorian_Atreides @OutdoormanNowActuary @Kat987 and @IPD will split 3 points.

Season 1 final scores:
YankeeTripper 26.67
IPD 22.83
DeepPurple 21
Marcie 20
OutdoormanNowActuary 15.01
AbstractActuary 14.60
Kat987 11.10
Vorian_Atreides 8.41
Rastiln 6.60
OldTimer 5.60
Celalta 3.42
MayanActuary 3
BG5150 0.75
Soyleche 0

congrats to @YankeeTripper for bringing home the gold!

For season 2, we will start back up after Labor Day in the US. Until that point, I will post some polls to give people a better feel about what music participants might like.

Finally, we will introduce some of the artists that were used back into the mix! Everyone that has played before will be allowed to select two artists from the list (see post #3) to bring back.

-ONLY 1 of them can be one that you submitted yourself.
-You CANNOT pick an artist that won in a given week (they go into the HOF)
-If multiple participants pick the same artist, too bad! you won’t get any extra choices (they will be brought back but the overlapping choices are wasted), so take you time and put some thought into it.

PM me with your choices by September 6th.

I take it from the last rule that our recycled artists selections should be sent to you by private message?

Is there a deadline for this? (figured I should ask since I keep missing both submission & voting deadlines - I don’t wanna lose this deal!)

I know I could figure this out, but to make it easier, would you be willing to mark the “HOF” artists somehow in post #3?

Thank you.

Yeah PM me. Let’s say by Labor Day which is September 6th. I’ve already picked my 2, so anyone can start sending me their choices.

And the HOF artists that cannot be picked are the ones with the YouTube link next to them in post 3.

1 Like
What Generational Cohort are you?
  • Silent Generation (born 1928-1945)
  • Baby Boomer (1946-1964)
  • Generation X (1965-1980)
  • Millennial (1981-1996)
  • Generation Z (1997-2012)
  • Other (I dunno if possible?)

0 voters