My simple solution to stop school bullying

What was the :heynow: emoji? I don’t think it’s one i used.

An old person with their finger up in the air. “Hey now, back in my day we WALKED to school… uphill, both ways.”

It was for using when you were acknowledging your advanced years because your post gave it away.

Like if someone complained about having to get up off the couch to get the remote control I might say :heynow: back when I was a kid I was the remote control!!!

2 Likes

It was the whitebearded emoji shaking a cane, iirc.

3 Likes

That’s right, it was a cane, not a finger!

Not the old one, but there is this. :meep:

1 Like

Nah.

I mean, yes lots of people are shit, but you can kind of just get away from them. Unless you’re in school (or equivalently, prison).

I haven’t been bullied in ~30 years.

2 Likes

I can say with completely honesty that this was true for me.

The uphill both ways part is true? Had a different location after school than before?

It could be both uphill and downhill both ways. Just not mentioning the downhill parts.

1 Like

Meh… that’s not “uphill” IMO… that’s “hilly”. “Uphill” with no further qualifications implies that it is at least predominantly uphill.

But if the school is higher elevation than the house and then he walked to a babysitter’s house after school that was higher still then I suppose it could be true. (Or started at the babysitter’s in the morning and ended at home after school with both walks being primarily uphill.)

Meh, SEMantics, seMANtics.

1 Like

You need to see the hills where I grew up. It was predominately uphill both ways.

yes, the school was on one hill and I lived near the top of a different hill. And for an 8 year-old, it was drudgery up each one.

1 Like

the expected ability to connect also fuels it. agree.

It’s amazing how bullying changes. I used to get bullied in 6th grade for wearing corduroys to school when everyone wore jeans, now I proudly wear corduroys and never get teased about it. Sorta becomes a combination of you can just avoid any would-be bullies and you become more confident/content in your identity that it doesn’t stick like it used to.

imo

3 Likes

this is how I justified getting her a phone. I just wanted to be able to call/txt her when I wasnt around. she is at friends houses, after school stuff, etc. She does text me when out which is really nice. bonus points for when on vacation, if I know she has her phone I am less freaked out about her wandering off.

The idea was: well she already had a tablet which can do anything, might as well add a cell line so she can call me.

Biggest issue I have seen is not really social media. There isnt much she is seeing on SM yet that wasnt on you tube. most of the other kids are not on SM, so if shes the only one, its not really SM yet. however, she is getting a dose of 12 yr old world by reading other posts on SM (even if she doesnt know them).

Its the content addiction ive noticed. The way youtube/snap chat is setup is to give kids 30 sec bits of content, over and over and over. To the point they cant put it down. This is really an issue with my and her generation. The constant need to consume content. My wife has a similar issue…

3 Likes

+1 phone games, social networks, and rapid streams are a serious challenge to adult self-control.

Never mind kids / teens.

4 Likes

Beware of tiktok.

Even for haters and nonusers of tiktok, it can suck you in (since youtube, fb, and insta all blast tiktok vids.)

tiktok is the best as holding your attention, which makes its the worst app to actually use. When she installed this, I had a good talk with her about the content she posted. I didnt realize the real issue is getting addicted to watching others’ content.

how do I get her off of that damn app?