My low sodium diet

I do need to lose weight according to every health professional I’ve ever spoken with. But if I make this about losing weight I will quit. I don’t lose easily. If I quit I will be right back where I started, if not worse. So I am trying to ignore all the weight loss talk.

1 Like

Yeah, just make it about eating healthy. Good luck; I’m rooting for you!!!

1 Like

I forgot to say I finally ordered some no salt spice blends from Penzeys. I’ve been meaning to order from them forever since some friends told me how awesome they are. I got a bunch of trial size bags so we can see what we like.

Please report back on these.

1 Like

I should get my order from Penzeys on Friday. I ordered 10 different seasoning blends but I’ll try to remember to report as I use them.

2 Likes

[tan]I found this page interesting:

[/tan]

Got these yesterday and so far I used Mural of Flavor on some scrambled eggs with veggies and it was really good. The 1/4 cup jar is $1 right now and they had a special gift set if you ordered $5 so I’ve already placed another order.

I think that Mural of flavor would have been good on my grilled cheese yesterday. I might try it today.

3 Likes

doesn’t cheese have a lot of sodium?

Swiss cheese has a lot less than other kinds. Mine has 45mg per slice. And I have no sodium bread so it’s not bad.

1 Like

119/76 today. I’ll take it.

5 Likes

Last week was hard. Between Halloween, our furniture being delivered (which meant clearing out all the old stuff and my office being full of clothes), my daughter’s birthday, sleep issues, etc., I ate out a lot and didn’t exercise as much.

This week is starting out better but I keep forgetting to check my bp.

We were just about out of veggies last night but I made due with some frozen stuff. Went to the grocery store after dinner and stocked up.

I really like the Penzey’s spices. The ones I am using the most are Mural of Flavor, Justice, and California Seasoned Pepper.

1 Like

So there have been some ups and downs but I am mostly still following my low sodium diet.

I have now discovered that potassium salt is useful for soups and broths. I’m assuming it may also work for baked goods but I haven’t done much baking this year. It’s not great IMO for items where you want to taste the salt. It does not really taste like salt and it’s not my favorite. But in my soup it actually did seem to bring out the other flavors which is what I needed. I wonder how it would be in pasta sauces?

I’m hoping to talk to a nutritionist this summer to help me with some practical ideas for my husband and me. Mr aj is prediabetic — not diagnosed but that’s what his numbers say—and has high blood pressure and super high triglycerides. He doesn’t struggle with his bp like I do. And I need him to hear some things from someone other than me. Like the fact that he has a fruit smoothie for lunch is probably not helping his blood sugar. It crashes by 5 and often I don’t get home from work until 6 and he is hangry and somehow this is my problem.

Anyway, we’ll get that scheduled when school is out bc his schedule will be a lot more flexible then.

2 Likes

Haven’t done this before but yesterday at the brew pub, the frites I ordered were too salty. Before eating each frite, I used two finger to flick off the extra salt into another bowl and the saltiness became more acceptable.

4 Likes

This bot is on a roll.

So if I’m building a new house, I should make sure my sodium levels are good and not so high as to raise my BP???

If you’re reducing sodium be sure to increase your rivets.

Building a house while also lowering your blood pressure can be a challenge…

1 Like

What’d I miss?

spam bot…now deleted…here are the replies to the other spamminess: Things to consider before building a house - #160 by Breadmaker

I’m still waiting waiting for the poker update.

2 Likes