My low sodium diet

It’s been about 2 weeks and I am hungry and my blood pressure has not changed on average. I am stressed about many things which I know is counterproductive to my goal.

I’ve had exactly one reading that was not listed as hypertension. A visit to my doctor that same day had a similar reading so I don’t think it was a fluke.

I’m not giving up after 2 weeks though.

1 Like

Sodium is only one of the factors. Blood pressure is mostly genetics and can be caused by a lot of things. For example, I have hardened veins - not something they usually test for. I only know about this because one of those luxury physical packages they do in Asia my mom signed me up for tested it. My veins were as hard as 50 yos when I was like 25.

Certainly don’t overload on sodium, but if blood pressure isn’t going down, start taking meds. You’d rather be on meds for life than risk having a stroke.

why not take blood pressure meds and eat as much sodium as you want?

i’m not sure that lowering sodium intake has a huge effect on blood pressure. in my father’s youth he had high blood pressure and the only way to control it was blood pressure meds. thus far, i don’t seem to have his blood pressure issues yet. I think he was probably around my age when it started.

I’m already on 2 meds for high blood pressure. Not sure I want more. Thought I would try the DASH diet to help.

It’s low sodium, high potassium, high magnesium. Not really tracking, just choosing low sodium foods and eating out very little. And eating a lot more whole foods.

Not sure why I’m hungry bc I’m not really restricting calories. But probably eating less since I’m not eating much junk.

1 Like

ah, didn’t realize. nevermind.

Talk to your doctor to see if you should try other kinds of meds if you’re not reacting to the ones you’re on?
Or try to up the dosage. You should not exceed 120 under any circumstances. Get it to normal levels first.

For potassium and magnesium, just take supplements. Diets like those are not really sustainable unless you wanna be miserable for the rest of your life.

Low sodium is fairly sustainable. Once you get on a low sodium diet, you become really sensitive to salty food. For example, I can’t do restaurant bloody mary’s anymore, they’re soooo salty.

I only play a doctor in the actuaries (mis)diagnose … thread, but bp is more generally a function of arterial resistance than venous issues. I’d be curious to know what the tests they gave you were.

I find I eat less when I eat more meat. I think most Americans eat way too much meat, but that is not me. If it made no difference to my health and how I feel, I would eat dairy and carbs and eschew most meat. But if I’m eating plenty of chicken and salmon and beef I not only feel better but I also feel fuller and I end up eating fewer total calories, even though meat is a fairly calorie-dense food.

I think the issue is how long it takes the body to digest the food. So the ratio of calories per unit of time to digest said calories is what’s relevant for me.

They put these things on my wrists and legs, and a few more things on my chest, and I lie there for a bit. Maybe something inflated. No idea what the science is.

Yeah I dunno. the bp issue is fairly recent. I certainly haven’t treated my body too well with all the substance abuse. But I generally have high SYS and normal DIA, and google says it could be a sign of hard veins.

A potassium supplement contains like 2% of the potassium you need. Apparently an OD is pretty easy so it’s regulated. But basically, eating “plenty of fruits and vegetables” can get you there. Also nuts are good.

Magnesium can be supplemented.

I tend to eat meat for dinner. At lunch it depends on what is easy and close. At breakfast it is eggs or else some nuts/seeds added to my oatmeal. I also eat yogurt almost every day since starting this and get some protein there.

1 Like

So my bp meds have already been increased a few times in the 6 years I have been taking them. For sure they were increased in 2019 and again in 2020 after I had Covid. (I kinda blamed it on Covid but I can’t be sure since I wasn’t checking regularly.)

And I have never truly tried “lifestyle change” as an approach. So my plan is to stick with this and see what happens.

I’m doing

*low sodium/DASH diet
*exercise — aiming for 150 minutes/week
*meditation—I don’t have a goal but I’ve heard it helps
*stop/cut down on googling when I wake up at night. Instead I am allowed to listen to an audiobook. Fiction is better than nonfiction.

I already don’t smoke or drink so can’t cut that. (Had a sip of daughter’s funky drink at lunch yesterday. Nope, I still don’t like alcohol.)

I have no advice, but this…

…is good to hear.

If it helps, know that random numbers guy on the internet is cheering for you.

2 Likes

Ditto for random tree-branch-named gal.

2 Likes

Target sells lemon-pepper that has no salt in it. I use it on otherwise plain vegetables.

1 Like

Thanks, JFG. I’m still figuring out how to season well without salt.

For what it’s worth, I’ve been cutting sodium for many weeks now.

I don’t take extremes, but I do watch my sodium intake like I do my calories.

I try not to exceed 10-20% a meal of daily recommended amount.

Natural and artificial MSG to the rescue. And vinegar, sugar (sweet and sour), or flavorful vinegar (Chinese black vinegar, balsamic). But sugar obviously is not for everyone. I already work out hardcore so it’s easier for me.

Look into the Morton’s Lite Salt too. I think a sprinkle of that here & there will give you the taste and still be well within your sodium guidelines.

1 Like

I see they also have salt-free garlic & herb seasoning but haven’t tried it.

Good luck, we’re rooting for you.

1 Like

I’m reminded that salt often had iodine added since this is an important nutrient for our bodies.

Are You Getting Enough Iodine? (webmd.com)

One thing the article says is that iodine deficiency not easily tested.

But here’s some info on foods that contain iodine: