My Crazy Area [Northern Westchester County]

Surely you jest. Your invitation must be out in the mail box.

One of Bill Gates’ daughters - or their horse farm near North Salem -

Aw crap. I forget exactly where that is. I was going to be over in the horse area tomorrow morning.

Anyway, I’d never wear white to anything to begin with. White is an awful color for clothing.

…after heading into the North Salem Moms group, I see everybody is chatting up the wedding. Evidently they have thrown a bunch of $$ at local businesses, and the people running said businesses are very happy.

I just want to know what roads I need to avoid…

evidently, Frank’s pizzeria is getting a little custom.

I was planning on going over to Somers tomorrow, to do some shopping, too. Maybe I should just stay in Somers all day

fuck, which farm is this?

Evidently they’re closing the road over there, whereever “there” is.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up, @Ranger – I was going to go to the library going on my usual route that takes me past all the horse farms. I’m going to go via the lake road instead.

Okay, looks like the people on Mills Road are bitching, so it’s over there. … BY THE LAKE. Okay, I’m going through the -other- horse farms (that is, I’m going into Putnam County to get there.) There will be so many people at Town Hall tomorrow for an electronics recycling/daffodil bulb event, and I just know everybody is going to be bitching.

Teh Googlez Mapz tells me it’s Mills Road between Great Oaks Lane and Turkey Hill Road.

Sooooo, because of the warning, I went to the library today (and my path takes me by one of the ends of Mills Road), got some stuff and talked with the librarian. She doesn’t live on Mills Rd, but she has to go by the path of travel and has said the traffic has been awful.

I may just give up getting any daffodil bulbs tomorrow, but we shall see. I think it’s from my next-door neighbor’s group, and she’ll probably give us any that are left over.

You keep thinking I sent you a warning. You have misinterpreted my post.

It was a request for photos and inside information. I want you standing at the front gate. I want you flying a drone over head. I want you in a boat on the lake. I want you crawling through the bushes in a ghillie suit.

Oh, I don’t care what you want. I want to avoid insane traffic.

It’s bad enough when Old Salem Farm has its events.

Also, I want more daffodils in my yard

Ok, I’ll share what -others- are reporting from my town.

The following is from one of my neighbors, who is responsible for the Forbes’ richest people list every year.

Hi everyone, strange and unusual for my worlds to collide. I’ve lived in North Salem for 18 years and I am an editor at Forbes. There is a lot of interest in fact that my small hometown is now hosting wedding of one of world’s richest people. If anyone has anything they’d like to share, i’d love to listen and include. So far I know Frank’s supplied pizza and burgers to the workers. It looks like a company called POI is in charge of putting even together or at least construction. They have the pavillions and a stage set up (and a crane still on the horizon even one day before). Love to know if anyone knows who is catering, who is providing music, who guests are. also love to talk to any neighbors who live near the event. Curious if the couple made a donation to the town since our police are definitely being put to work.

Honey, that “donation” is called taxes.

Yes. the wedding is tomorrow. The road is closed to outside traffic from 2 p.m. to midnight, i believe.

confirmed: Redirecting...

Supposedly, the Gates have been giving various goodies to their pissed-off neighbors to placate them (they did not sound placated earlier today)

This is definitely a better story than the murder by a farmworker with a hammer, or the plane crash into the lake, but not a better story than Indy the wallaby (yet)

[developing]

haha the locals are being bitchy:

I don’t even understand the benefit to having it here? It’s a nice field but you can’t see the reservoir. There is no view. The sunset is nice I guess. It’s a flat grassy area on a road. I mean it’s nice road but still. Just don’t get it

[you can’t even see the lake – Titicus Reservoir is okay to look at, but it’s not very large, and pretty much -no- houses look onto it. Some people fish in it, sometimes]

well, let’s talk about permits, the amount of traffic and most of all the size of the event. We have ordinances here in NS. VOX had to stop having weddings because of a noise ordinance.

Rumor has it that there is a helicopter pad on the Gates property for the wedding. I can’t confirm that, but if that’s the case that should not be allowed to happen.

VOX was (is?) a French restaurant in town.

[and then people chatted about the Clintons in Chappaqua and something about Madonna]

Well this is anything goes town for the rich horsey people

Stu keeps bitching about the horse-riders on one of the roads. I’ve never run into them.

We have real fox hunts, too, btw.

I grew up on june road. The old salem horse farm in the 90’s used to have the neighbors diner under the tent one night for free during the may event. The parking at old salem back then was a mess.

I also had the fox hound handler used to come in the fall knock on the door and let us know they will be hunting this season in the back. They also would bring a turkey for thanksgiving. It was nice.

aw, nobody has given me wild turkey

I had a fox hunt in mY backyard when we first moved here and I had no idea why there were 20 dogs in my yard until I heard the horn 😂

This is the benefit of living in the “poor” area of town (that is, everybody crammed up against the Metro North stop) – I don’t have to deal with the horses or hunters. Just the apple-pickers when they take the train.

and then people started telling stories about calling cops/rescue because they thought they heard a person in distress… but it was just a cow mooing or a wildcat caught in something.

To bad the weather won’t be more like it is today for their big day. There is a 90% chance of rain. The rain pounding on those glass structures won’t be fun. I wish them all the best!

Yeah, today is beautiful but tomorrow is supposed to have a nasty storm. Oh well!

:popcorn:

Do you think Alan Arkin and Robert Klein will show???

They didn’t even show for the Schoolhouse Theater fundraiser! (I mean, yes, they showed up on Zoom. In years past, they have been physically here, but just not this year. Robert Klein comes over here all the time. Maybe he lives near here?)

So I got my bulbs (both the LED bulbs & daffodil bulbs) over at the Town Hall at 10am, and drove by Mills Rd, but not much was going on. I went to the train station, and it looked like somebody was loading up a shitload of pizzas in the delivery pick-up truck.

No new gossip (yet)

I’m very glad to hear you got your bulbs,

now put on the ghillie suit and get to work (maybe you’ll find Alan Arkin).

1 Like

never fear, the UK Daily Mail is here!

Anyway, best wishes to them.

The only additional piece of gossip is that local businesses working on the wedding signed NDAs, which surprises nobody. Still, I bet some worker will spill…

and one of this group chimed in:

Five ladies who call themselves ‘the Sisterhood of the Walking Pants’ strolled by the event, where a loud bandsaw hurt their eardrums, as they marveled at the vast preparations underway in the tent city

[at least one of them lives on Mills]

‘The only thing I don’t like are the fake trees,’ Diane noted. ‘They’re green and they’re hideous. The trees should have looked like they’re fall trees and not summer trees. Somebody wasn’t thinking.’

Yeah, that’s a bit tacky. Should have gone for red.

Now that the wedding is over, hopefully the craziness will go back to normal levels of craziness (wallaby’s, giant rats & llamas). Best wishes to the young couple. And kind regards to the UK Daily Mail for supporting the paparazzi as they; flew drones overhead, went boating and crawled through the bushes wearing ghillie suits because meep was more interested in getting bulbs.

Well, it looks like about the time they were having the wedding, I was in my living room, watching Con Man.

One of the Five Ladies was walking with a space boot and crutches. Pretty easy prey for a robotic wallaby… just sayin’…

so wildlife is increasingly a hot topic around here (other day, when taking the kids to the bus stop, saw group of deer (maybe 5?) run by in our neighborhood)

Pandich, whose career involved managing large tracts of land, is clear-eyed on the realities of the natural world. When she walks her dog, she wears a coyote horn, a green plastic tube—more a bombastic whistle than a horn–on a lanyard, available for free at New Castle Town Hall. On the side, it reads: “Email coyote questions to Coyote@MyNewCastle.org.” Making loud noises — yelling, banging pots and pans, blasting an air horn—is called “hazing,” and it’s recommended for scaring off coyotes. Pandich has never had occasion to use the horn, and probably wouldn’t, even if she saw one: “It’s very rare that a coyote would confront you.”

I hadn’t heard of coyote horns, but then I’ve never actually seen a coyote around here. The aftermath of a coyote or fox getting into somebody’s chicken coop, sure, but in general the only large wildlife I see is the deer. All the others are nocturnal or sneaky.

But wildlife experts were watching with concern. “He was still learning; it was a dangerous time for him,” says Dana Goin. “I thought, ‘This bear is way too comfortable around people.’ There’s a saying, ‘A fed bear is a dead bear.’”

Budd Veverka, Director of Wildlife Management at the Mianus River Gorge in Bedford, agrees. “The more it became habituated, the more it was going to be in suburban areas, crossing roads, breaking into houses. It was not going to turn out well.”

On July 28, around 6:30 in the evening, Bear 211 was crossing Rte. 136 in Easton, Ct., when it was hit by a car. Grievously wounded, he had to be euthanized. Members of his Facebook page mourned his loss, pouring their grief out in emotional posts. Even People.com reported on the passing of this “social media sensation.” Tributes to Bear 211 continue on the site, which remains up.

There have been lots of people sighting bears around here, but I haven’t seen any in our neighborhood. They seem to be mainly staying off the hills and bugging people in the low-lying areas.