My Crazy Area [Northern Westchester County]

Okay, I could have dropped this in my new NY historical news clips, but this really did not happen at my town (you’ll see), so here it goes:

The shootout that didn

That

Not very crazy – our local theater is doing a benefit performance:

The Sunshine Boys with Alan Arkin, Robert Klein, Mathew Arkin and Jon Richards

June 26, 3pm ET, online

THE SUNSHINE BOYS!

A teasing, tickling benefit for all our funny bones and for Westchester’s longest running professional theater—The Venerable* SCHOOLHOUSE THEATER (NY Times)

bears have been having fun in local backyards

wait, somebody made a group for one bear?

oh it’s CONNECTICUT bear 211 (but yes, my town abuts CT)

The llama was SOUTHBOUND. :thinking: :tfh:

the bear sightings are real, at least

1 Like

Fyi, pickering is just east of Toronto, highly populated area. I read they had a moose in that area like in the 50s but don’t think they’ve had one since. Maybe wrong in that.

I know they get moose back in South Eastern Ontario now, never saw that when I was young.

da Bears:

post from local:

Bear sighting around 10am this morning on Star Ridge Rd Brewster up the hill from Dunkin’ Donuts.

I didn’t see them, but apparently there were a bunch of these wondering around my neighborhood.

2 Likes

Local historical site artist
Main artist for this book:

His drawings of some of the houses in my neighborhood

disclosure: the following story:

• not crazy
  • does involve a lost pet
  • not a wallaby (note the “not crazy” bullet)

Act 1:

Act 2:

Act 3:

Or it could be that cybernetic Indy is holed up in a bunker at IBM headquarters just a hop, skip and jump from Hunter Avenue in Armonk (I Google mapped it!!!) sending his army of cybernetically enhanced critters to spy on the hoomans!!! :tfh:

Coming in a week or so!

https://www.facebook.com/SchoolhouseTheaterNY/posts/10158551981478597

Some bored asshole got paint out of a maintenance shed and vandalized our local park

https://www.facebook.com/groups/NorthSalemNYinfoMember/posts/4934953443184830/

OH NOES! My town made a “best places to live in Westchester” list!

PASTORAL SANCTUARY

North Salem: Open Spaces, Rural Places

“We’re a quiet, sleepy town, and that’s the way people like it,” says Jocko McKean, executive director of the North Salem Open Land Foundation, regarding his hometown. “We pride ourselves on protecting and conserving open space here. People like the rural quality.”

The rural feeling also has a practical side. McKean noted that according to the New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets, North Salem — which includes communities like Croton Falls, Grants Corner, Salem Center, and Purdys — features about 50% of the remaining useable farmland in Westchester.

For many residents, North Salem represents horse country, and the town boasts a large amount of bridle trails for the equine-minded to explore. Others are attracted to its wide array of local organizations, which draw hundreds of volunteers each year to various local causes. The town’s dedication to preserving open space, which includes about 15 conservation easements within its borders, is also a selling point for some.

“Things change very slowly in North Salem,” notes McKean. “We don’t have four new developments going in [at any time], and most residents in town like it that way.”

Among the town’s greatest attractions are Harvest Moon Farm and Orchard, which is a short distance from Interstate 684 and draws many thousands of people each fall for apple picking, hayrides, pumpkin picking, and numerous family activities. Nearby Outhouse Orchards also draws large crowds during apple-picking season. Hayfields, located on the town’s border with Connecticut, combines a café, florist, and catering business and has built a dedicated local following. Purdy’s Farmer & the Fish is among the top dining destinations in the county.

North Salem also boasts an array of housing options, ranging from old-world farms to newer construction. Most of the town is zoned for four-acre properties, preserving its open-space feel.

We put up with the frickin apple pickers every fall, we don’t need more people coming in

You could always start a rumour about a blood-thirsty wallaby that lurks in the orchards. :japanese_ogre:

@meep, I assume you’ll be providing pictures and insights of the wedding this weekend. (FYI - don’t wear white to the shindig)

oh shit, who’s getting married?