Marijuana decriminalization progress

I don’t know anyone that doesn’t do drugs.

I have one friend who was a severe alcoholic. He quit cold turkey one day and has been sobor for 15 years. He says weed is a big no no, as it affects the brain, same for many other drugs, and could lead him back to alcoholism.

He’s a chain smoker though. He says cigs are okay as that affects “below the neck”.

Hi. I’m Maphisto’s Sidekick. I’m a boring tea-totaler, who doesn’t drink, smoke, consume cannabis, etc. aside from religious use (and I haven’t done any of that in a while).

FWIW, I’m not a tea-totaler due to puritanical stances. I realized early on that I am probably prone to addiction, and therefore decided it was best for me to not get started.

5 Likes

Confront your fears.

Once you see addiction in the face, you’ll realize it’s not as scary as you think.

Then again, many people already battle with addiction (coffee, food, sugar, sitting on the couch) and decide to call it something else.

With all the stuff my wife’s been on due to chronic pain (including fentanyl), with some of the volunteer work I’ve done, and with the hell I’ve been through breaking myself of less-headline-grabbing addictions…I feel comfortable standing by my choices.

3 Likes

Thanks Biden!

Washington DC has decriminalized shrooms, which makes me think it will be next on the list. Though I’m guessing it will be years before Conservative culture shifts to accept it? It’s funny to think that your congresscritter can trip but you can’t.

In terms of drugs I’ve had booze and weed, no cigarettes, because everyone I know that smoked regretted it. Also other things like coffee and OTC sleeping pills.

And I’d love to take some hallucinogens, but I don’t have any friends that swing that way, and don’t want to do it alone.

I don’t know about paternalism. Seems like doctors, governments, and individuals are all terrible decision makers.

Visit me and we’ll do it.

Btw, you don’t want to do it with someone that’s also tripping. The first time you do it you might feel insecure and have difficulty dealing with this new found experience. You want to be with someone that’s NOT tripping so you know someone is capable of taking care of you.

1 Like

And, yeah, addiction freaks me out too.

Being “harmful” is far less concerning to me than people doing things that they don’t want to do.

The drug schedule should really just be defined by that imo.

They always want to do it. To have the urge is to want. But they probably forgot why they are doing it in the first place. And they likely will regret it after they do it.

1 Like

“Hi, I’m John Stuart Mill and I’m a pusher.”

I push people to experience all life has to offer.

1 Like

Sure, they want to do it. They want not to do it. They want not to want to do it. They regret it. They betray themselves. One aspect of their mind betrays the other, and/or they betray their future-selves. And they do it over and over again.

Regardless, it freaks me out because it fucks the basic principles behind things like rational choice theory, informed consent, and personal liberty, which I otherwise subscribe to.

1 Like

Yup, it does become a battle with yourself. Like they say, whatever doesn’t kill you make you stronger. Those who come out of the other side becomes super in control of their own self.

Interesting thought, do you have some background on that?

On a personal level, I’ll check with my wife. She was something of an alcoholic, and is now booze free for a year. She also lacks self-control on a fundamental level. I’ll ask her if she’s gained any new control.

(Although I expect a causation/correlation issue there, since her quitting was also tied to therapy and medication.)

The mother of all survivorship biases.

4 Likes

It’s a win-win situation actually.

Those who don’t make it can’t have remorse.

People that cared about them can though.

See: several former NFL players.

No one owes others good feelings.

No, but it’s a nice thing to do.