Makes me smile

1 Like

On the shuttle from remote parking to the airport today, a frazzled gentleman with a 2-3 year old daughter was riding, along with a mobility-limited gentleman and I.

Frazzled gentleman says that he’s frazzled because a bad accident on the highway delayed him 40 minutes, and his flight is now about to start boarding.

Frazzled and mobility-limited gentleman are flying the same airline, whose check-in counter is furthest away from TSA.

MLG: “Do you have any bags to check?”

FG: “No”.

Me: “Do you have your boarding passes, and are you precheck?” (The latter being relevant, because PreCheck and non-PreCheck checkpoints are in different places.)

FG: “Got the passes, and not PreCheck”

MLG: “Driver, skip [airline] and go to main security. They’re about to miss their flight, and I can walk it.”

The driver ended up offering to do another lap, so MLG didn’t have to make the long, slow hike.

That helped restore a little of my faith in humanity.

8 Likes

In my experience, 40 minutes is not enough of a buffer.

I’m planning my arrival about 2 hours before takeoff. I can sleep, read a book, listen to music, take a walk, eat some food, have a drink once I get there. Getting access to an airline’s fancy Club Lounge eases it all a lot, and it makes getting there early VERY worthwhile. Did this at United’s LAX Club last year when going to Maui.

2 Likes

I agree – I aim to get to the airport 2 hours in advance (more if it’s a particularly large or unfamiliar airport), because stuff happens.

However, that didn’t seem to be the right time to make that observation.

Good idea. We don’t really know why he was running so late before the accident. Best to assume it was not his choice.

I work at a university. Today a few of us were purging some old and unused stuff from the lab. There was some “vintage” equipment that a researcher at another university happened to mention he’d be interested in when I was recently helping out with a study he’s been running. I texted him some photos, and he said he’d take it all. Another researcher in the same department is also an adjunct at our university, so when we called about some other equipment that we weren’t sure if he used, he also was excited about the vintage equipment, and he said he’d come collect it in the next couple of weeks. (He made is sound like they’re packrats over there. “We have old equipment laying around all over–you never know when you might find a use for it.”) Later in the afternoon, two other researchers, one of whom had been my professor when I was a student, messaged me, also expressing interest. (He’s an emeritus professor/researcher now.) It was nice to connect with my old professor and that my colleagues and I made at least 4 people happy with what was garbage to us, and I was amused by how fast the news traveled. I’m curious how they’ll duke it out over who gets what. One man’s trash is another man’s treasure, indeed.

6 Likes

Bidding war!!

1 Like

1 Like

3 Likes

2 Likes

That’s one loony photo.

1 Like

The thought of a bunch of physicists battling over 30-year-old equipment was amusing.

Esp the “I’m a loner, and a loner’s gotta be alone.” line and esp² the last “Jessie?!?!”

2 Likes

Got an email that the system used to report IT problems is down. I wonder how they knew.

5 Likes

8 Likes

6 Likes

I think it was the old 200 exam that had a case where a truckload of cows overturned with hoofprints leading to a patch of quicksand. Even though the cows were never found, the insurer still paid out.

1 Like