Lowering Cholesterol

OK, I need to lower my LDL. Every other cholesterol number is OK.
And, no drugs. It’s not THAT bad. Just need to lower the number by about 40 or so.

So, looking up on the internet, found ten ways, and we pretty much already do those ten ways as best as we can:

Found this about foods to add (and, I assume, replacing less helpful foods):

My workout book also has pretty much the same advice as the above.
So, we’ll be reducing red meat to once every other week or so. (We’re at about three per two weeks.) Replacing with fishes and more chicken.
Any other tips?

:avocado: Good source of monounsaturated fats!!!

Tips 1 through 10 should be exercise to reduce weight. I think for most of us in sedentary jobs, an hour on the treadmill a day would fix a lot of health related problems.

Drugs. Be aggressive in your LDL target.
Scared,fine. Drop body fat % (assuming you are above 10%).
Dietary choices generally have least impact.

I’ve had consistent borderline-high cholesterol levels since I was a teenager (aka, since I was 115 pounds). It’s not enough to cause any real concern to doctors (although one guy did make me cry once).

It’s always been concerning to me that diet and exercise don’t seem to have any impact, but in my Google doctor opinion, the problem has always been my wack thyroid. Now that I’m getting that under control, I’m crossing my fingers to see improvement.

1 Like

Eat good fats (egg yolks, avocado, nuts)
Exercise

1 Like

Disagree on dietary choices: I really cut down on the saturated fats in favour of healthier fats and calories in general. My doctor put me on Crestor too!!! LDL has dropped like a stone!!!

:iatp:

So, which do you think was more effective: diet or the drug?

I really don’t know which one had the bigger effect. My number was scary high, so I did the trifecta of diet, exercise and Crestor. :dizzy_face:

I actually have the reverse problem. Low total, average bad, but low good.

Nowadays they look at bad/total, and my number is higher than average because my good cholesterol level is so low.

So, you need to raise your HDL?

HDL levels are typically lower in people who have metabolic syndrome — a cluster of conditions that include obesity, increased blood pressure and high blood sugar levels.

Besides helping you lose weight, increased physical activity can lower your triglycerides, the most common type of fat in your body, while increasing your HDL levels. Benefits can be seen with as little as 60 minutes of moderate intensity aerobic exercise a week.

In terms of diet, try to avoid trans fats, as they can increase LDL cholesterol and lower HDL cholesterol levels. Foods prepared with shortening, such as cakes and cookies, often contain trans fats, as do most fried foods and some margarines. Limit saturated fat, found in meats and full-fat dairy products, as well.

If you smoke, find a way to quit. Smoking lowers HDL levels, especially in women, and increases LDL levels and triglycerides.

Moderate use of alcohol has been linked with higher levels of HDL cholesterol. For healthy adults, that means up to one drink a day for women of all ages and men older than age 65, and up to two drinks a day for men age 65 and younger.

However, if you don’t drink, don’t start drinking to raise your HDL cholesterol levels. Too much alcohol can cause weight gain, and might increase your blood pressure and triglyceride levels.

1 Like

I tried diet modification (not ridiculous but pretty strict) before drugs and it had little impact. While on statins I see some movement based on weight (blood pressure is much more weight dependent), but drug and light exercise had me in a range where they have had studies with reduction of plaque levels in persons with cholesterol numbers like mine. (not just comparative levels between groups, but in individuals pre/post)

Thanks.
I’m still shying away from the drugs for now.
Doctor’s office called me just a few minutes ago about this.
I have to get another test in four months. Not sure how much any non-drug actions will lower my LDL in four months.

As a sample of one, here is my plan:

1. Cut down on red meat and pork.
  2. Eat less food out of a box or wrapper or bag. Read those labels before eating.
  3. Eat less food. Period.
  4. Exercise lightly (30-minute walk or bike ride) every day, and heavily (weight-lifting or jogs) every other day.
1 Like

12/1/2020
Weight: 211.8 lbs
Waist: 41"
Body Fat Percentage, per formula: 27.6%
Walked 1.2 miles, ran 0.8 miles.

Walking and jogging can be hard on your joints especially if you’re older and heavier than average. Use that actuary money and buy an elliptical imo.

Well, I am older and heavier than average. But I don’t have any of this “actuary money” that you speak of. It is used for paying off various loans (mortgage, car, parents of students loans, etc.). I also have no place to put that, and the outdoors is free (and not rainy or cold).

Swimming can also be a good for joints

I have nowhere to put THAT!

Wait, I have a pool in the backyard. NM.
However, the heater is broken, and a new gas line (a fatter one) from the main would be required with a new heater. And no one wants to fix it, just to replace it.

And that water gets pretty effing cold, even here.

Is your entire usable rooftop covered with solar electricity panels? There are some highly efficient solar hot water heaters available. Drugs are cheaper than that, though.
On the exercise side, I found climbing stairs to be less stressful on knees than walking/running. I have no explanation for why.