Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

I could see her being fine. All of those humans though…

Liked the episode but honestly not buying the fact that every major character is likely to survive that pyroclastic flow from Oroduin instead of being future archeological finds like Pompeii. But hey, guess that’s why it’s a fantasy series and not a documentary.

2 Likes

I didn’t like how Numenor army was magically there at the right time and place in some random village. How would they know where to go.

The Cavalry (or what is needed) always shows up in the nick of time in Tolkien.

I was wondering who they have gotten all of their fighting experience against if they haven’t been to middle earth for so long. Why do they even have a cavalry?

The queen was looking at the tower on the map while on the ship.

1 Like

They had that one training session where they learned advanced sword fighting in the previous episode.

3 Likes

Nothing to do with the show but I figured only folks visiting this thread might appreciate this one.

1 Like

Let’s wait until tomorrow before posting any spoilers from the season finale. Give everyone time to watch it

3 Likes

Well, that was fun, even if it played out mostky as expected.
I did enjoy the opening sequence misdirect.
As it had me convinced for a few minutes, until the next seen with the elves made everything clear.

So, do we get one season per set of rings?

1 Like

I’m wondering if maybe celebrimbor and halbrand had done some “practice” that he didn’t tell anyone about (and maybe halbrand snatched them before he left). Celebrimbor was acting weird at one point that made me think that, but it’s probably nothing.

2 Likes

I’m still pretty sure that the stranger is Gandalf and they are just combining several wizard stories into one - he’s shown some radagast-like powers, and the blue wizards go east, which Gandalf never did. The hobbit stuff still clinches it to me that he is Gandalf.

I am suddenly wondering if he is sauroman though - he did spend a fair amount of time in the east, and there is at least a bit of hobbit interaction there.

2 Likes

I was watching an episode overview from one of the LotR youtube channels I like, and he refered to the sorceress people as “Naz-gals”, and I chuckled at that.

2 Likes

He also pointed out the comment between elrond and celebrimbor that “we need to do in 3 weeks what could take 3 centuries” being a nod to the compressed timeline, since in the canon it took around 300 years to make the rings.

1 Like

Unless you think Sauron already forged the one ring, and the 9, and gave them to (wo)men, who have already succumbed to their powers… The women can’t be nazguls.

I was thinking balrogs, fire demons of the same general ilk as Sauron and Gandalf.

I think it is gandalf, even though it breaks tolkien’s established lore.

the stranger makes a comment about taking a direction that “smells right”, or similar, which echos a line from the movies where gandalf tells merry “when in doubt, follow your nose.”

2 Likes

No, they don’t have rings. They obviously have some connection to the “unseen world” though, and they looked the same, so the wordplay amused me. The guy who made the video made no mention of rings, and I have no reason whatsover to belive that is what he meant. He was making a joke.

They might be maia, like you mention. They might also be some result of the experiments that Sauron was working on in the north that Adar mentioned.

The stranger also said “Always follow your nose” which is a Gandalf quote

2 Likes

Maybe they won’t make it to the Rhun, which would save the lore

Although, Gandalf being there 1000 years too early already kinda makes that less important…

I guess that’s from the movie. I don’t remember anything like that from the books.