Looks like abortion is about to get outlawed across America

I don’t know many people who had their HS crush actually reciprocate, let alone saying no to this fairy tale fantasy.

I don’t think being denied healthcare is empowering.

Also I don’t think a parent can make a 16 year old get an abortion against her wishes.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

a good parent would provide the best information so she can make her decision

And where did anyone claim otherwise?

I’m banning @Chalky from this thread for trolling. Will discuss further actions with the other mods.

1 Like

Because miscarriages are a thing that is incredibly common. There’s no evidence that a crime has occurred. (Assuming we are speaking of a time/place where abortion is illegal.)

Rape is illegal, but we don’t investigate, or even have the right to investigate, every instance of suspected sex to see if a rape occurred.

No, I think the point is that Roe differed from Loving (and others… Brown vs Board of Ed, and I’d even put Obergefell in that category although possibly that’s premature) in that regard. Loving became the law of the land and people discovered that allowing interracial marriages actually isn’t that big of a deal and the existence of biracial or multiracial people isn’t really a big deal. There are undoubtedly still people who think that my marriage should be illegal and that any children produced by it would be an abomination, but they are so much in the minority that we don’t really hear about them much.

But in contrast, a whole lot of people still think abortion is an abomination. The view that making it legal would cause people to relax about it and worry about other things instead has not played out in the same way that it has with many other rulings.

1 Like

The emotional push for legalizing abortion was photos of women who bleed to death or got sepsis from an illegal or self-administered abortion. There’s a reason the symbol of the movement is a coat hanger. Very few Americans under 65 have seen that, or known a woman whose life was ruined by a badly timed pregnancy.

Instead, they’ve seen photos of 5 month fetuses, and encouraged to think that an 8 week embryo is much the same thing.

The abortion rights movement is hurt by its success.

And it’s worked, not only to make abortion safe, but to make it rare. Or rarer, at least:

2 Likes

However, there are district attorneys who have demonstrated a willingness to prosecute in some instances of miscarriage, such as a pregnancy ending when the woman failed to wear a seatbelt and was in an accident.

Such DAs are the exception rather than the rule, even in Jesusland, but a shift more towards Gilead-dom isn’t as hard to imagine as it once was.

Want to come with me when I go spend the Yule holidays with my inlaws in the rural deep south? We can fix the not hearing about about that bit… shudder

1 Like

Agree that we don’t see the pictures of women who bled out after attempting their own abortions too much. I have seen them, but I’m guessing that many people my age and younger have not.

Disagree about the second part. I think most of us know women who had unwanted pregnancies, did not opt for abortion, and turned out fine. In my high school there were a double digit number of pregnant girls over the course of my four years there, as an example. And while none of those situations was ideal, I wouldn’t say anyone’s life was ruined.

Of course, even with legal abortion, getting pregnant out of wedlock isn’t nearly the stigma it used to be, and there are now kinds of support that didn’t used to exist like protection from being fired and Medicaid and Head Start and more recently Early Head Start. (Ok Medicaid & Head Start both predate Roe, but not by much.)

So pregnancy is a lot less ruinous now than it used to be too.

Yeah, i don’t think you can compare the subset of unwanted pregnancies that women choose to keep when abortion is legal with all unwanted pregnancies. I think you never heard about the ones who chose abortion.

1 Like

True but, it’s also true that

The same thing happened after reconstruction. The constitutional amendments did not “convince” people of equality. There we allowed the states to decide the issue for themselves, so to speak, resulting in what we all agree is a moral tragedy.

This is not to say that substantively jim crow and illegal abortion are necessarily the same. But it does show that this is a fundamentally political consideration. It’s just arguing that the supreme court should let politics rule instead of law or ethics.

Skipped a number of posts, so if this is a duplicate, my apologies. Louisiana is drafting legislation to classify abortion as homicide. Looks like Indiana is going to go after abortion as well.

.0135 per year per woman aged 15-44 sounds very common. That’s 30 years, so… 4 abortions for every 10 women? Or so? Is that right? Seems crazy it was 3x that much before.

My wife’s childhood best friend got pregnant with a guy she was seeing and got an abortion. They actually went on to get married. Not surprisingly their marriage lasted ~4 years… she would have been an awful mother, all are better off that the pregnancy ended early.

I would attribute this as a significant cause of the decrease of abortions since the mid-80’s far more than the “success” of legalized abortion.

This does make me wonder . . .

I don’t recall seeing any pregnant girls in high school which makes me think that a lot of girls in my high school likely got abortions

Same. No one in my high school had a baby. I do know some people who chose to keep the college baby.

Me neither. I grew up in an affluent area, so pretty sure abortions were easy enough.

But also pretty sure girls more likely to be on the pill early and guys could afford condoms