Looks like abortion is about to get outlawed across America

Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights

1 Like

i started reading that. wouldn’t abortion laws just go to the states, so it’s not going to be outlawed across america, just in the red states?

so if i happen to get pregnant at my elderly age, i can still kill the fetus in new york i think.

3 Likes

Sorry if my title was misleading. I didn’t mean to claim it was going to be universally outlawed. I just meant across many states all over the country, it’s going to become illegal. Many states already have trigger laws on the books.

2 Likes

So what does this mean for the midterms? I was expecting Democrats to get hammered, but backlash to this could help them.

By a weird coincidence, I came here right after reading this story in the WaPo. (The story was posted this morning before this leak.)

And activists argue that in Texas, Republicans have paid no apparent political price for banning abortion after cardiac activity is detected, around six weeks of pregnancy.

A group of Republican senators has discussed at multiple meetings the possibility of banning abortion at around six weeks, said Sen. James Lankford (Okla.), who was in attendance and said he would support the legislation. Sen. Joni Ernst (R-Iowa) will introduce the legislation in the Senate

the Life at Conception Act, which would recognize a fetus as a person with equal protections under the 14th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, has been introduced in both chambers. Nineteen Republican senators and well over 100 Republicans in the House have co-sponsored the measure, signaling that many would like to see a total ban on abortion.

I was hoping that if the SC overturned Roe, abortion would just disappear from DC politics – let the states decide. Not going to happen.

4 Likes

I saw a Tweet from a Jewish doctor who said that Judaism doesn’t teach that life begins at conception and the mother’s health and wellbeing takes precedence, so prohibiting abortion is a violation of her religious beliefs. That was a TIL moment.

2 Likes

Eh, i think the politics of a nationwide ban are very different.

In particular, relatively affluent suburban women can still leave red states to get their daughters abortion if they need to.

Not so if it is banned nationwide.

Also, pro choice voters won’t have roe to hide behind anymore. They will have to mobilize.

Conservatives support states rights unless states support things that they oppose such as gun restrictions, mileage requirements for vehicles, and abortion rights.

3 Likes

I normally like to post jokingly fun lighthearted threads/posts here but this is extremely concerning and disappointing on so many different levels. I don’t even know what to think. People should fear for their rights. What does it mean if this pack of justices can overturn anything at will? What do elections mean now? What does this country mean now? This is one of the saddest days in American history.

3 Likes

Actually getting a nationwide ban at conception isn’t going to happen.

Maybe 15 weeks is doable.

But, regardless of whether anything passes, it will continue to be a hot national election issue, even hotter after Roe/Casey is gone.

This. They have been milking the one issue voters for decades. They will not let them go peacefully.

2 Likes

I wonder if there’ll be any wrongful birth lawsuits.

1 Like

Activist Court strikes again

2 Likes

Well, Judaism teaches that life begins when the baby draws its first breath. As God ensouled Adam by breathing into his nostrils.

And the biblical punishment for hitting a woman so she miscarries is just a fine. The punishment for killing a person is death.

Exodus
22When men fight, and one of them pushes a pregnant woman and a miscarriage results, but no other damage ensues, the one responsible shall be fined according as the woman’s husband may exact from him, the payment to be based on reckoning. 23But if other damage ensues, the penalty shall be life for life,

(Although, if you strike a slave, and the slave survived a couple of days before dying, it’s cool, because he was only a slave. In the Bible, it only counts as murder if the slave dies right away. So maybe you don’t want to trust the Bible too much on morality.)

On the other hand, the first commandment God gave to humans was “be fruitful and multiply”, so Judaism is pro-fecundicity, and only endorses abortion if the woman’s health is endangered by the pregnancy.

2 Likes

I kinda don’t get how we can go in 5 minutes from a clear statement that the states should control it to nationwide ban. I guess I shouldn’t underestimate congress OR the supreme court at this point, but doesn’t that go exactly against what (the media is saying) they just said in the leaked doc?

That is to say, that it should be a state decision.

As a state decision it’s not great. I think abortion should be legal in all 50 states period, but a national ban and we need to revolt. Texas has no business telling new york what to do. Texas also should have no right to tell women what they can do with their bodies in texas. Fuck texas.

You might be free of the consequences of this law. However, many of us still live in red states with trigger laws. Hopefully blue staters want to help us here. I think this is close enough to a national ban that a revolt needs to be on the table.

Welcome to Gilead.

4 Likes

Yeah some of Alito’s language seems like he’s saying that since the Constitution doesn’t grant the power to regulate abortion to the federal government, it needs to be a state issue. A federal ban would seem to violate this draft opinion.

State bans, however, would be A-OK per the draft.