Looks like abortion is about to get outlawed across America

What state you live in is about to become a very, very big deal

1 Like

No way this happens, imo. It’s wishful thinking by the most zealous anti-abortionists. Similar to me fantasizing about banning handguns.

1 Like

Insofar as your ability to get an abortion is concerned, yep, sounds like it.

BTW, my personal opinion is that I agree with Alito. There’s no enumerated right to privacy in the Constitution. Maybe there should be, but there isn’t. Given that, I think it should be left up to the states.

I’m also pro-choice and think every state should keep it legal. It’s unfortunate that they aren’t all going to do so.

3 Likes

This has been true for a great many things for a while now.

Yeah, if the final decision bears much resemblance to this draft then I could easily see the very same SCOTUS shutting down a national abortion ban. Maybe even 9-0. For sure the 3 liberal justices plus Roberts & Alito. And I think Gorsuch & Barrett too. Less sure about Thomas & Kavanaugh.

I guess it wouldn’t be the “very same SCOTUS” though since by the time it would go to the SCOTUS Jackson will have replaced Breyer. But she’d probably vote the same way on this case.

Yes. It seems there is still contention whether states can criminalize travel to other states for abortions. It seems the likely outcome is no but is unclear. Either way, it’s disparate impact against lower-income women.

The Republican subreddit is melting down, saying this is going to lose them the midterms. (My take: Probably not but might affect a few elections.) Abortion has always been about fundraising and whipping up the base. This is bad for the Republicans long-term, but not sure by how much.

It’s annoying watching them bicker about how the Supreme Court is not helping their election chances however. You did this, what’s the issue?

Also wondering how this’ll play out with the Church of Satan (or Satanic Church? They both exist and I always mix them up.)

Time for Biden to appoint more justices to create a liberal majority to overturn this shit.

To be clear I mean to simply increase the size of the court.

I don’t care about the precedent, the whole system is so fucked it doesn’t matter

1 Like

Pro-lifers who are worrying how this will affect their midterm election chances are not really pro lifers, they are people who used this as lever and are bemoaning that the lever is gone.

5 Likes

yes. Accross is wrong on multiple levels

3 Likes

Yep. So all pro life politicians are now worrying.

1 Like

If I understand it correctly, a number of states are now looking into laws that would make it illegal for a resident of that state to travel to another state for an abortion, or maybe just the driver(?) that takes the woman across state lines. Seems like a way for these states to control what can happen in other states.

Look for a GOP push next to make cuts in programs like SNAP, WIC, TANF,…

1 Like

The GOP needs abortion and gay marriage to be an imminent threat in order to keep a huge chunk of their base.

Evangelical leaders claim they need the GOP because of the pro-life agenda, and hold their noses and vote for them. I don’t think that’s true, and I’m sure they’ll find some other issue to hold their noses over, but people like my mother won’t go vote at all if abortion isn’t one of the things she’s voting against.

1 Like

Reminds me a bit of how the southern states were pissy about slaves escaping to Canada via the northern states.

Yeah I don’t see how one state can claim sovereignty over another and can’t see this standing. In fact they would have no standing.

It always seems to be the southern states. Maybe they need to start wearing hats in the sun.

Yeah, I think there could be some interesting precedent there. It’s generally illegal to transport a minor to another state for the purpose of having sex with them in a state with a lower age of consent.

Other than the untested restrictions on transporting a minor to another state for trans-related therapy I don’t know that there’s a lot of other laws prohibiting going to another state and doing something legal in that state. Like, you can go to Nevada and gamble, even if gambling is illegal in your state. That falls under interstate commerce.

My guess is that it will be slam-dunk permitted (after SCOTUS challenge at least) to transport an 18+ year old female to another state for an abortion (or an 18+ year old of any sex for transgender-related therapy).

Restrictions on minor children may fall into a different category though. Non-parents may well be prohibited. I certainly think parents should be allowed, in either case.

I don’t think so. Travel between states is pretty cheap. Well, until we erect the 20 foot walls anyway.

And yes I know that many extremely poor people want abortions.

Texas seems to be trying to make it illegal, but I guess that’s in the courts now.

It’s mostly going to matter where within the state you are. If you’re in, say, Corpus Christi, it’s going to be a lot harder to get to a legal abortion than if you’re in El Paso.