Life Decisions Thread

I have a big life decision to make. Should I do it? (“It” is the thing, not “make the decision”)

No, I’m not going to give details at the moment.

Should I?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

The answer is almost always yes.
People pick no because they’re chicken,not because Of a risk Vs reward analysis.
Upside is great. Downside is, have cool stories to tell that start with ‘remember that time…’. Which is also an upside. Win win.

2 Likes

3 Likes

can I make up situations in this thread since you won’t tell us or is that frowned upon?

Death bed regrets are way more often of the form ’ I wish I had…’ and not ‘I wish I hadn’t…’

dumping your life savings and 401K into dogecoin?
YES.

Everyday you don’t do this, you’re missing out on at least 30% return.

In fact, you already missed out on it today.

1 Like

Two chicks at the same time?

You want to but you are accentuating the positives of doing it and minimizing the negatives. You will enjoy it for a couple of months and then be wishing you back where you were. In conclusion, the fortune cookie I just opened had this to say, “A single kind word will keep one warm for years.”

By “It”, I assume you mean become a Bears fan.

This is more fun than answering the original question!

Well, the type of decision where you go “I wish I hadn’t…” usually leads to dying somewhere other than in bed at an old age…

1 Like

Does “it” begin with “Hold my beer”?

I have a tough enough time making P&C decisions much less life decisions.

2 Likes

I can think of lots of situations where the answer is no.

Sounds like you may have a lot of stress, hope it isn’t affecting your health.

Feel free to do whatever you want. I don’t own the thread. It would be nice if you to stay generally on topic, but anyone can discuss any life choices they might want to.

That’s interesting. I always thought the CAS exams were more difficult than the SOA exams…

That’s it - CAS exams do a better job of preparing their candidates for the real world. :judge:

Eh, I’m well insured against poor life decisions :).

1 Like

Me, too!

I’m not about to start BASE jumping, tho.

FWIW, I can think of two really difficult life choices I’ve made, and they’ve both made it easier for me to make other choices which I would have considered difficult before, but now it’s just a matter of sitting down and thinking through options.

The first big one was dropping out of grad school - in retrospect, I should have dropped out two years earlier, but eh. Two years is pretty minimal in one’s adult life. But because of that decision made when I was 28, sunk costs have never been an issue for me with decision making.

If you can get that lesson early on and when the stakes are actually low (though it didn’t seem so at the time), it is amazing the things you can walk away from when they’re a bad deal.

4 Likes