Leaving a job after a few months

I recently accepted a new position but am now having second thoughts. The opportunity was pretty good but now I feel I am going to end up hating living there.

How bad would it be if I started looking for another job a few months after starting the new one. I now have a sinking feeling that I am going to hate it. It obviously will not look good but the question is how bad?

I have only had one job so far and it was for 4-4.5 years.

1 Like

You won’t find a new job if you don’t look.
Some employer might not care, and those who do, well, move on until you find one that doesn’t.

4 Likes

If you’re already looking around thinking I think I gotta get out then you know. It’s very unlikely, absent a regime change, to get better. Delaying the inevitable is only going to be mentally taxing on you, and it’ll probably spill over to family life. That’s lose-lose.

Employers understand sometimes you land somewhere and it’s just not the right fit, you’re sold a bill of goods, whatever. I’ve done that (left a job within a year) twice, didn’t hurt job-hunting prospects either time. Though the 2nd time, it was kind of a “I was looking for them, they were looking for me” situation and the concern was “you’re not going to jump from us quick, right?” Which … I think we’ve more than taken care of. The fact that you were somewhere else for 4-4.5 years is going to carry a lot more weight, really all you’re trying to do is come up with the “acceptable” messaging of why you’re leaving this job.

3 Likes

This.
Practice your answer. Well, first, believe your answer, THEN practice it. No whining, no airing of somewhat confidential information, etc. Because no one wants to hire a whiner and no one wants to hire someone who spills the tea.

5 Likes

It depends on the probability that you will get fired from it. It’s better to switch early, knowing you are not a good fit, then to stick around and get fired.

Ideally you stick around and take the pain for at least a year and then switch.

2 Likes

What if you won’t get fired but just don’t like it?

1 Like

Are you learning things at the job / advancing your resume? If yes then I’d probably stick it out for the year.

1 Like

This has already been answered.
Get out there and search!

2 Likes

Life is uncertain. You took the position, by mistake, and now you regret it. What did you learn from that? And how do you know you wont make the same mistake again? Are you going to keep jumping around every month until you find the ideal job?

You should just stick around and make the most of it. Maybe things will get better, or you can find a better position at the same company. I would only start searching if you think there is a good chance you will get fired due to not being a good fit (as in you have no idea what you are doing or your boss appears to loathe you).

Yea while I see your point, I also think that Dr. T is correct in that if you want to leave, the only way to do so is apply and see what happens.

1 Like

Do you have any details (without revealing too much) on what you don’t like about your current location?

2 Likes

I just think its boring

You will rehearse something more appealing??

3 Likes

Many jobs that can be interesting might seem boring at first.

Figure out what you can get out of the job in terms of development/learning and it won’t be so boring. If you just sit there waiting for interesting things to hit you in the head you might be waiting a while.

1 Like

Without giving too much away, what’s so boring about the current job and what is it that you’re looking to do so you won’t be bored? If you just say “well, it’s boring,” what assurance does the next company have that you won’t go there and 3-6 months later start thinking yeah, this is boring too, I might want something else?

I meant the location is boring not the job itself

I feel that all jobs are boring honestly

1 Like

Sounds like a good time to study

2 Likes

or interview idk lmao

I’d be interested to see how people respond

So in the previous job you were in a location that was “good enough”, but then changed locations for a new job reasoning the new location would be good enough, but it turns out it wasn’t?

So aside from the job issues, how will you know any new location will be acceptable? If you can answer that, then i think you can interview with confidence.

2 Likes

I think this is easy enough to explain, as long as you’re not now moving from one rural location to another.

“I thought the job opportunity was appealing enough that I’d try a new location, but it turns out rural living is really not for me and I’ve decided to move back to a major city.”

Or, you have decided to move back to your hometown / a city where you have a lot of family and friends / etc.

If you moved from NYC to Iowa, decided you hated Iowa because it was boring and are now going to try North Dakota, that’s harder to explain. But if you moved from NYC to Iowa and are now interviewing for jobs in Chicago, I don’t think that’s too baffling.

5 Likes