Leaving a job after a few months

Yea I think it is obviously important to have other reasons why I am interested in the job/am the right fit first but that could be added on for sure.

I’d say that I would need to feel confident that I actually wanted to stay in the new location (or if the job was remote that is irrelevant) before committing to another role/to be able to sell the story successfully.

I’m inclined to give it bit more of a chance while I study for another exam before applying again though.

1 Like

Well not so much for selling the story, but finding something you would be happy with, both in terms of job and location.

The other alternative is determine if there are things you could try in your current location to enjoy it better.

3 Likes

If I am going to apply elsewhere should I just take the current job off my resume-in that case they will assume I was let go from my previous job I would think

Have you even started this other job? If so, how long have you been there and what incentives did they give you (signing bonus, relocation) that you may have to pay back by bailing early?

What explanation do you plan to have for a gap in employment after the last job you mention?

1 Like

This. In my limited experience, i would ask why the gap. Then you would either admit working or lie. I’d be very curious about your “real” reason for omitting it. If you lie, and i happen to know soneone or find out in the process of checking references, you’d likely be dropped from consideration.

And thats assuming a gap doesn’t drop your resume in the ranking process.

Other more sanguine interviewers/job movers might have opinions.

1 Like

Yea I started a few weeks ago.

I dunno how it would work but since I was still at old job in December the gap is minimized at this point.

Interesting yea. I feel like companies don’t check references outside of simply asking HR anymore. What do you mean ranking process, just filtering resumes

Yes, filtering. Yours will not be the only resume a company receives. My understanding is some companies receive so many not every one is viewed by the person who sets interviews. But these specifics are far outside my personal experience, so I can’t say whether it will apply in your situation.

1 Like

Also my experience, but it also depends on the position and the relationship between HR and the hiring manager. Some managers want to see every applicant to decide who they want to talk to; some will let HR filter applicants for every position; some will let HR filter for lower-level applicants and want to see every applicant for upper-level stuff.

Also note: since your past job will be on your resume, it’s entirely possible the company you’re applying to reaches out to that past employer - and I’m not just talking HR department to HR department. Yes, that stuff still happens. The manager at the new company may reach out to someone in your department at your old company to see what details they can provide on your performance. All it takes is someone saying “yeah, Caru-Show left us to go to [unlisted company on your resume]” and someone looks at your resume and thinks weird, why didn’t they put [unlisted company] on their resume? and now you’re either out of consideration [you’re not considered truthful] or you get asked about it in a phone screen and you have to explain it there - at which point, you better have a really good explanation, because the next check [if it didn’t happen before you get asked] is to see whether you’re working at [unlisted company on your resume].

Just my $0.02, though. YMMV.

Yea I had mostly come around to the situation, but then some contacts I had made job searching reached out asking if I was still interested in these other roles that would have been better location/remote (HR from somewhere I got close with before, and someone at another company)

So then I was wondering if I just pretended I was still at the old job or made up some excuse for the gap. Idk what a background check would actually pick up

My thinking was that if you were going to bail it would need to be either right away or after you had been there long enough to speak intelligently about the job.

Alternatively maybe I could just try and use the contacts at a later date. If I made them maybe I was a better candidate then I thought.

Saying the truth, and practicing it aloud in a way that you are satisfied that the answer will be acceptable, is a better option. First, it will be easier to remember, since it’s the truth.
when you are found out to be a liar, do not expect any job offers, and expect any promotions not to exist.

Oh yeah i hadn’t considered what might happen if you got the job and then were found out. I could totally see someone firing you since you couldn’t be trusted. I probably would.

2 Likes

Curious why you chose your current role and not one of these other roles with better location/remote.

1 Like

You could leave out the job and have a resume by year. And then if asked if you had other jobs, say so. And if asked why you left it out, say you feel it didn’t add to your resume. And if asked why you left, say you didn’t realize you didn’t like the location. All of the above will be true and there’s no law you have to include all your experience in your resume. But be prepared for interviewers to wonder if you’ll have second thoughts about the location their job is in.

Personally, I do filter out applicants who have a short time at a job, but it’s possible that’s not the only thing I’d be looking at. It’s definitely worse to have 3 stints of 1 year at 3 different companies (or even 1.5 years each) than one short time at one company. One of the best people I know had one short time at one company. Some jobs are just hellholes. Although that doesn’t sound like it describes your current job.

2 Likes

How much does it damage it to have a very short stint like way less than a year? I guess you are saying you just don’t consider those candidates. I had only the one other job for 4.5 years.

You could probably afford to job hop if you’re pretty sure you’ll stay at the next place for 4 or more years. At that point, one short time at a job will probably be outweighed by the other times. If you’re planning to leave the next job after less, it’s less certain. Some people would be fine with 3+ years. Less than 2 plus less than a year at this job would be a red flag.

All this is my own opinion and you can take it with many grains of salt.

At the time I didn’t get an offer. I shouldn’t have used the word “still” above-my bad. I guess sometimes companies will keep someone on file if they like them and want to consider them for other roles later beven if they didn’t get it in the moment. I don’t have much experience with that and assumed a rejection in the moment closed more doors

Better to have tried and failed than to be afraid all your life.

1 Like

That hasn’t been my observation of current company or prior company. I was hired at first job out of college, and second pick was hired 8 mo later.

There have definitely been times at current job when we had multiple qualified and promising candidates and said “if this person is still available, let’s offer next job opening”

Obviously this is for early career folks. I don’t know anything about how they hire senior level folks.

1 Like