Last movie you've watched

The Menu. It was………weird.

We just watched the breadwinner, a cartoon about a girl that dresses like a boy to survive Taliban rule. Not sure why, I think I was just very tired of dealing with my mom and kid, and wanted something not-loud and obnoxious.

It belongs in the same bucket as Grave of the Fireflies. Beautiful and sad. The violence isn’t at all graphic or dramatic, but an ordinary man beating up an ordinary woman who has no recourse, is so much more tragic than Loki impaling Coulson with his magic lance before getting shot in the face with a photon gun.

It’s a bit odd because “being real” has basically no meaning to my kid. I mean, she knows the difference between fact and fiction, but does she really know the difference between “this story took place 1000 years ago” and “this takes place in afganistan”? Then again, maybe I don’t either.

1 Like

Took my teenage grandchildren to see Avatar: The Way of Water. Technically a superb movie and it did not drag despite 3+ hours of running time.

Vengeance on Amazon Prime. Starring, written by, and directed by BJ Novak. It’s cute. Ashton Kutcher is in it, always nice.

I"ve seen these so far and agree, except maybe that there were a couple good laughs near the end of MYOD.

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent

Fun movie with Nicholas Cage and Pedro Pascal. Lots of callbacks to Cage movies and great chemistry with the cast.

80 for Brady Supposedly based on a true story, four 80 year old women (or very nearly 80) are huge Tom Brady fans and try to get to the Superbowl against Atlanta. A few funny moments, but not much else.

1 Like

And it felt more succinct than the others without sacrificing anything.

Rewatched The Fifth Element last night as I needed to be entertained but not overly taxed. The first time I watched it was when my youngest daughter dressed up some years ago as Leeloo for a Halloween Party. Had to check out the movie after that.

1 Like

I found out that Don Hertzfeldt posted his short, World of Tomorrow, on youtube. It had previously been pretty difficult to see, as you typically had to buy a blu-ray directly from Don. It’s one of my favorites.

1 Like

interesting, i watched it late 2016, no idea how i accessed it, might have been grouped with other shorts for a while

Thanks for sharing that. I enjoyed it.

1 Like

Murder on the Orient Express (1974)
What a cast!
Enjoyable enough. I need to read the book, though.

Ditto

What made me look for World of Tomorrow - the latest baby quilt that NA posted a few days ago had lines in the center of the design that somehow reminded me of the style of the short.

Recently watched two movies I missed when they first came out: “The Reader” and “Basic Instinct”. Both had some merit but were controversial in different ways.

The Whale (Netflix Disc) I really liked this. Fraser deserved the Oscar. Just a well acted play on screen, the whole cast was great. The Taiwanese woman who was in this and The Menu is great, where has she been?

First saw “Away From Her” at the Vancouver Film Festival 15+ years ago. Rewatched it tonight as the co-star, Gordon Pinsent, recently died so it was back on my radar.

It is a beautiful, sensitive movie about the impact of Alzheimer’s on a married couple. Outstanding performances by Julie Christie (Oscar Nomination) and Gordon Pinsent.

*Tetris on Apple+. The story of how Tetris made its ay out of the Soviet Union and became one of the best selling video games of all times. The film is a bit scattered and they throw some cheesy 8-bit graphics in every now and then to keep the mood. Pretty interesting to see the way this may have happened.

Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Netflix Disc)

Well animated and very entertaining. Kind of ironic it lost to Pinocchio.

1 Like