Last movie you've watched

I assume all of the people who recently watched “Everything Everywhere All at Once” watched it at home (or a friend’s home)?

I don’t think this movie works as well in a home theater environment, when distraction and side conversations can occur.

I am grateful that i saw it a year ago in the theater, where i could fully focus on the screen without any chance if distraction. There is so much going on in every scene that demands your undivided attention. I loved it and definitely rooting for it tonight.

We’ve nevee been great at keeping it G rated.

Just from today:

Thor: he’s my brother

Captain America: he killed 80 people in 2 days.

Thor: well my adopted brother.

Kid: that could have been 40 people on the 1st day and 40 on the 2nd…or 30 on the 1st and 50 on the 2nd…

Very happy that it swept all the major categories.
Well deserved, imo.

Have put it on my “to watch” list and will go to a theatre to view it as it is still playing here.

1 Like

On my list to see as Miriam Toews’ novel on which it was based was great.

By the way, I liked the London Bridges of cocomelon. Solid stuff. But we pretty much hated and skipped all baby/toddler TV including cocomelon. Too annoying. Also too freakishly hypnotic.

I used to lend my baby my phone when I really needed a break, and she would zero in on the worst imaginable baby-youtubes. Sometimes it would just be a bunch of brightly colored balls poured out, sometimes a bunch of spidermen jumping up and down, or maybe the one scene of the bird screaming from moana… it didn’t make any sense, but put her in a trance state. Less like she was “having fun” or “learning” and more like she couldn’t look away.

I wish I could say we were awesome low-screen-time parents, but we are definitely passing on our own bad habits. :confused:

I watched it after everyone else was in bed. No problems. Saved $20 or whatever it costs these days. Still a great movie, and the actors/writers/producers/directors/etc. were justly rewarded.

2 Likes

Sounds like you did it right.

I just hear a lot of people talking about the plot being too confusing/convoluted and just “not getting it.” I think a lot of that may be due to the focus needed to truly enjoy this movie

Hmm. I think I followed the plot okay. I just didn’t enjoy it.

1 Like

Argo (TV): great movie about a very gutsy extraction operation of Americans from Iran during the late 70’s. I remember some of the news details (but not about this operation), so it was nice to see “more” about the situation as I was in either 3rd or 4th grade during the events.

Creed III (Theater): Good movie overall, IMO. Haven’t seen the first two (but was familiar with the general storyline as a continuation of the Rocky franchise); but this one worked well as a stand alone story.

I greatly enjoyed the movie despite its downplaying of Canada’s role:

“Canada’s Involvement
The most disputed aspect of the movie’s version of events has to do with Canada’s role in the escape. 30 years ago, Canada received complete credit for the rescue, because the U.S. was worried about possible repercussions if CIA involvement was publicized. (They may also have wanted to maintain the plausibility of a similar ruse in future.) Argo corrects that version of events—or, rather, overcorrects it, downplaying the actual extent of Canadian involvement, which was considerable. The Americans were housed by two Canadians: the Ambassador Ken Taylor, and a Canadian embassy employee, John Sheardown. (In the film, all of them stay with Taylor; Sheardown does not appear at all.) It was Taylor who cabled Washington to begin the escape plan in earnest, and once the plan was decided on, Canadians “scouted the airport, sent people in and out of Iran to establish random patterns and get copies of entry and exit visas, bought three sets of airline tickets, and even coached the six in sounding Canadian.

Almost none of that appears in Argo . Taylor himself has a major part, and is presented as a sympathetic and brave man who took great personal risks to save the Americans. But his actual role was even larger. He was “spying for the U.S. throughout the hostage crisis at the request of Jimmy Carter.” After some friends who attended the Argo premiere in Toronto described it to Taylor, he expressed concern “that we’re portrayed as innkeepers who are waiting to be saved by the CIA which is a pretty fair description of what the film depicts.”

1 Like

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Definitely more nuanced than I expected. Then there were the Tarantino things I expected, but plan to watch again with Mrs G.

1 Like

I enjoyed it

I do not doubt that. The film does make the disclaimer that some of the events in the movie were fictionalized for dramatic purposes.

The film also has Tony “training” everyone in two days to include sounding Canadian–which was a huge stretch, IMO, and I would guess that the Candian personnel did more earlier (especially with getting them to sound Canadian).

1 Like

I don’t know which part of the USA the Americans were from but learning to speak Canadian would be a challenge for some parts of the USA. I can’t tell any difference between speakers in Seattle vs Vancouver but someone from the South, or even Boston or NYC, certainly would have some work to do.

The movie was quite good though and Ben Affleck apologized afterwards to Ken Taylor for the downplaying of the Canadian contribution. However it was not a documentary so I can’t hold them to being accurate. Instead it was a feel good American success story.

1 Like

I really enjoyed the movie. And even if Canada’s role was underplayed, i came away from the movie feeling grateful to Canada.

1 Like

It was definitely a feel good moment for Canada as well.

Watched it tonight and greatly enjoyed it. Michelle Yeoh was awesome.

1 Like

I think that instead of a ultra-natural setting,

would have been nice if she was simply making all the other universes up in her head, then figured out what she must do in her own universe, which was the only universe.

But, that’s JMO.

Your hidden comment was my interpretation of the movie.